Steve Mendelsohn's letter

Subject: Steve Mendelsohn's letter
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 12:58:21 1996
>I currently run a monthly VE session sponsored by the ARRL (been doing it
>for two years).  I encourage folks at my sessions to upgrade, offer
>assistance, code tapes books and now I encourage them to join the league.  I
>am currently President of the Southeastern DX Club and encourage amateurs to
>join and become involved.  I invite people to my home to show them the joy
>of intercontinental QSOs.  I've given away books and tapes to those who seem
>interested.  In short, I don't need your challenge.  I'm already giving
>everything that I have time for, and more.  You may not agree with me, but
>don't do me the injustice you've inferred.

Hi, Steve --

      Congratulations for your involvement in the hobby.  Our perspectives
are from different ends of the hobby.  You are in the
hobbiest/consumer/training/VEC end and my perspective is from the retail
business/manufacturer marketplace end.  My amateur experience includes
working at a ham radio retailer for several years, a stint as National Sales
Manager Amateur Products for Hy-Gain and running my own amateur retail
business.  I am on a first name basis with many of the business owners,
managers and advertisers that provide the goods and services for our hobby.
 They are the ones that have provided the insight that I have mentioned in my
posts.  The fact is that business is down almost universally across the
amateur retail market.

       Every organization needs to grow in order to keep up with increased
costs, taxes, etc. whether you are a business or a family economic unit.  My
point is that without this growth in the market and peripherally in ARRL
membership, we won't have the economic resources to do all the things we want
to do, let alone stay in business.  With the current recession in the amateur
marketplace, the viability of amateur dealers, manufacturers and the defense
of our hobby in general is jeopardized.

     Let's all work together to help out.  You at your end, me at mine and
we'll all continue buying  stuff.  With the help of increased sunspots and
propagation, maybe we'll all get past the current doldrums and everyone will
be much happier.  I hope so.

73,  Steve  K7LXC