Yes!

Subject: Yes!
From: steve.m.zettel@internet.nps.usace.army.mil (steve.m.zettel@internet.nps.usace.army.mil)
Date: Wed Jun 26 15:19:12 1996
Steve,

        Thanks for the kind words. A least we can feel good about standing
up and being counted. Otherwise, I have to admit that this whole debate,
and the related issue of CW requirements at the WRC has me kind of down.
There are undoubtedly major forces actively engaged in trying to get our
small allotment of frequencies on the auction block, and I have no faith
that our political and administrative "representatives" have the character
or will to withstand the economic and political pressure of the commercial
interests. This, coupled with the general apathy I see around me, doesn't
give me a lot of hope for the future.

        This apathetic attitude on the part of the unaffiliated amateurs
was really brought home to me this Field Day. I have been a licensed
amateur only a little over two years, and this was my third Field Day. My
first exposure to amateur radio was in my early teens in the mid-sixties.
The so-called "Old School" of hamming. Our next door neighbor in Virginia
was a ham, had a large vertical on his roof, with radials tacked down
symmetrically over every square foot of roof surface, and every tree in his
yard supported wires and coax. He converted military surplus gear to ham
use, and he very gently Elmered me in the direction of getting my license.
He gave me a mountain of CQ's, 73's and QST's (the QST's I was cautioned
were to be returned!), and he even permanently "loaned" me a huge
Hallicrafters receiver--it weighed more than I did! He spent time teaching
me about ham radio, the mystery and excitment of DX HF, and the ethics and
responsibilities of being a licensed amateur. Unfortunately, he was a
little too subtle in his urging me to learn CW, and before I really got
serious about amateur radio his job transferred him away. Soon after, I
discovered the opposite sex, got my driver's license, became involved with
some friends who had a rock and roll band and need someone with some
electronics "expertise" (I had the good fortune of attending a high school
that offered electrical and electronics shop classes). One thing led to
another and college, several hitches in the Navy, a couple of relocations
after returning to the civilian job force all intervened before I ended up
as a power plant operator at The Dalles Dam. There my interest in ham radio
was reawaken by several of my fellow operators who had their licenses and
were members of an active radio club. The Mid-Columbia Amateur Radio Club
is a general interest/service-oriented club, with no contesters that I was
ever aware of, but with an annual Field Day effort of some size and
enthusiasm, and in-depth involvement with the Emergency Services people of
Klickitat and Wasco counties. My wife and I enjoyed the fellowship, the
public service, and especially the Field Day, and I immediately set to work
learning the code so that I could legitimately operate HF on my own. I have
to admit that I viewed CW as a necessary evil to be overcome in order to be
allowed my coveted HF privileges, and to this day I am far from proficient
or comfortable with CW. But I was (and am) very proud of perservering and
earning my Advanced class ticket. All the lessons of my first Elmer were
remembered, and I find I still believe in the ethics and responsibilities
implicit in the privileges granted with ANY amateur radio license. Anyway,
to get to the point of what is becoming a very long story, when we moved to
Libby last spring, it was with a great deal of enthusiasm that I started
looking for the hams in Lincoln County. To my dismay, I was greeted with
the story from several amateurs that "Yeah, we had a club, but it fell
apart. . .  People were fighting about the club repeater. . . There were a
couple of guys that wanted to run everything. . .". I was a little taken
aback at some of the bitterness and back-biting, and by some of the very
narrow viewpoints I was presented with. I don't discourage easily, and so I
decided to get these folks together by offering them an invitation they
couldn't refuse. I got permission to have Field Day on top of Libby Dam, in
the Treaty Tower, a sort of large walled parapet with a roof above suitable
for antennas and a generator or two, about 150' above Lake Koocanusa on the
north side and 470' above the Kootenai River valley on the south, and a
commanding view of the country all around. I sent out e-mail, talked to the
hams I had met, contacted the very nice Extra Class lady that spends about
20 hours a day on the local packet link. What do you think? A couple of
them smiled and nodded and said it sounded real nice, a couple (wistfully)
said they hadn't operated Field Day in years, some told me why it wasn't
any good ("We had a club but it fell apart. . . people were fighting about
the club repeater. . . a couple of people always want to run the show. .
."). No one would commit to do anything to support the effort, most were
evasive about even getting together to discuss it as a group. I don't mind
being a leader, and I take pride in always doing my share and a little
more, but frankly, these folks gave me a royal pain in the rear, and since
I was working the 1830-0630 shift at the Dam right up through the morning
of Field Day (which just so happened to be my wife's birthday this year), I
cancelled the whole mess before it had a chance to embarrass Amateur Radio
anymore that it has been already in these parts. Instead, I operated about
six hours total, off and on, from home as 1E, and devoted the rest of the
time to treating my wife to a nice birthday. I got a chance to really learn
about the finer points of operating my new (used) Omni VI, and my computer
logging program, and how much I have GOT to get some beams up instead of
this 80M horizontal loop, and I kept the peace in the family besides.
Perhaps next year I will try to involve these amateurs again, perhaps not.
What is unfortunate is that after listening to the threads that ran through
their complaints and excuses I realized that I hear the same laments on the
air and see them on the reflector:

"We used to have a <club, a contest, a hobby> but it fell apart. . . people
were fighting about <CW, no codes, the ARRL>. . . some <people, the
government, the ARRL> always want to run everything. . ."

I just have to shake my head, is this what getting older does to people? If
I was a young person, I'd have to think twice about ever getting involved
with such negative old farts.

Well, thanks for putting up with MY laments, and acting as a sounding board
(or crying towel). I'm really not as negative as I sound, just a little
frustrated right now.

Thanks for your encouraging e-mail, and for fighting the good fight.

73,

Steve KJ7CH