Some scores - Canada Day Contest

Subject: Some scores - Canada Day Contest
From: ve2zp@bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org (ve2zp@bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org)
Date: Thu Jul 4 03:27:07 1996
TO: VE6JY, VY2SS, VE5WI, VE7CFD, VE7AV, VE3BW, VA3MW, VY1JA (%VY1CM), VE3OXX
    VA3JAK, VE6KC, ALL@ALLCAN, cq-contest@tgv.com and 3830@akorn.net

RE: 1996 Canada Day Contest - Claimed Scores

4 July 1996 (Happy Independence Day to the US folks reading this)

My mailbox has been overflowing with messages detailing claimed scores for
this year's 1996 Canada Day Contest.  As usual, I will include as many
cliamed or rumoured scores as possible in September TCA, but the final
results will appear in the November issue of the magazine.

NOTE: I have not yet seen the logs, and I will not see them until early
August.  Please DO NOT consider these scores as definitive or final.  I'm
simply collecting and repeating the claims I have heard so far.

>From all accounts it was a banner year for participation, and there were some
tremendous scores made.  To date, here's what I have heard:

Call   Cat  QSOs Mul Score
VY2SS  A    1162  77   613,228 *
VY1RAC A    1168  60   408,840 *
  (op VY1JA)
VE3BW  A     542  81   363,566
VA3JAK A     750  48   334,176
VE7AV  14    680  24   119,568 *
VE7CFD 14    420  12    23,712
VC6RAC M    2836  99 1,838,430 *
VE6NQ  M     461  53   207,790

* Scores exceeding current records
A=Single op all bands
L=Single op all bands low power
14=Single op single band (MHz)
M=Multi-op

Was this really summertime conditions at the bottom of the sunspot cycle?

If you know of other scores, please send me a message with the details.
Whatever you do, make sure you send your entry to:

RAC Canada Day Contest
614 Norris Court - Unit 6
Kingston ON  K7L 4W2  CANADA

Thanks.  73,

Dave Goodwin VE2ZP/VE9CB
RAC HF Contest Manager (Adjudicator for the Canada Day Contest)

Packet: VE2ZP@VA3TCP.#EON.ON.CAN.NOAM
   or   VE9CB@VE1BBS.NS.CAN.NOAM

E-mail: ve2zp@bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org

From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin) (Dale Martin)
Subject: Field Day Secrets From Repeaterville

The sad part is that if they can screw up reporting something as =
seemingly
mundane and straightforward as Field Day, think what they do to really=20
important news stories.

The problem is exacerbated when we try to inflate the importance of what
ever it is we are doing.  If we throw in too much complexity, technical =
jargon,
in-words, etc., we run the risk of confusing the reporter and ending up =
with a=20
strange and confusing report being aired about amateur radio.  You have =
be very, very careful when dealing with the news media....If you listen =
to their
off-the-cuff comments on the air, you can detect a certain bias against=20
anything technical (I wish I were kidding...all four of our network =
affiliates and the all news station demonstrate and reinforce this day =
after day).=20

The other night, on the local news (an NBC affiliate), they used a nice =
pricey, detailed graphic to depict the crater created by the bomb-blast =
at the barracks
in Saudi.  The dimensions were correct: 85 feet across the top; 35 feet =
deep.
But the pictorial side view of the crater showed the depth at least =
three times=20
the width.

What do you expect from an organization that answer's to no one?=20

oh yeah....Field Day is not a contest....there...'contest' is in the =
note...(sorry, Trey! I could not let this opportunity to comment on the =
news media go by)

73,
Dale, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org