Do away with all tests!

Subject: Do away with all tests!
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Wed Aug 21 21:40:02 1996
>I absolutely do NOT detest CW, which is a wonderful tradition in amateur
>radio. I have many friends who are expert CW operators, and whose skills
>and successes with that mode I admire.

I have nothing against doing math longhand, it is a wonderful tradition in
education. I have many friends who know how to (insert one: add, multiply,
subtract, divide), and whose skills I admire.

>I strongly support dedicated band
>segments for their use. The wonderful thing about this hobby is the variety
>it offers.

I strongly support dedicated jobs for them. The wonderful thing about America
is the variety of employment it offers.

>What I do detest, because I find it totally illogical, is
>MANDATORY code testing for those of us who have quite different interests,
>and who never intend to use it. There are far more appropriate tests for
>the higher grades of license.

What I do object to are MANDATORY (insert one again) requirements for
employment or degrees. It's something that some of us might not be interested
in, or that we never intend to use. There are far more appropriate methods of
testing our engineers and accountants...or even the people counting change at
McDonalds.

Seriously now, do we have to keep making everything easier every time some
lazy soul whines?

If we want to eliminate CW, I have no objection. Let's just make the theory
more challenging, perhaps require someone to actually build something to
become an extra?

If we want to be stupid, I'm for that too. Let's go for it! Let's do away
with all testing. It certainly worked out on 27 MHz. Listen up there
now....you never heard the channels so dead. In ten years after everyone gets
sick of the chaos, there will be plenty of room to operate on the Ham bands.
Heck, it has even worked in our schools.

73 Tom