Shack-on-a-belt'isms

Subject: Shack-on-a-belt'isms
From: WD8AUB@IX.NETCOM.COM (Douglas L. Klein)
Date: Wed Aug 21 21:50:16 1996
John Nicholson wrote:

> This one takes the cake. A newbie on the local repeater referred to his
> potty break as 'taking a QRP'.
>
> All I can say is the end must be near.
>
> John K7FD

What were you doing listening on the local repeater?

Doug WD8AUB

P.S. ;)

From: david.mueller@worldnet.att.net (David Mueller) (David Mueller)
Subject: good 80/40 antenna?

    Hi guys.  Sorry for the bandwidth.  I've found out that I have an
excellent chance
to get my wish to be transferred back to Guam KH2 next summer.  If not Guam
then
Hawaii almost definitely (I am an active duty US COast Guard member).  On my
last KH2 tour back in 92/93, I had a very short notice and went without a
rig, and was fortunate
to borrow KD7P's for a while.  I will not make that mistake again and this
time around I will be bringing a rig, tribander, ETC, for a complete station.
   Here is my question:  Since the military housing areas out there are in
tight quarters with few tall coconut trees, I am looking for a good
commercially made 40/80 vertical.  Putting down radials would not be a
problem.  I've seen 2 advertised; one by
MFJ and the HF2V by Butternut.  Anyone have any experience with these
antennas?  Which is better?  How do they work compared to 1/4 wave wire
verticals? I will go with the thinking my QTH would have no trees- so wire
verticals wouldn't be possible with dipoles out of the question.
   Again, this transfer won't happen until next summer at the earliest,
however I would
like to get and play with the antenna over the winter to see how it compares
with my 80m L I presently have.
   Thanks again in advance, Hope to work all of you on many bands if the KH2
transfer comes true. Please reply directly to me so not to fill the
reflector with unnecessary chatter regarding my personal question.

  Best 73, Dave KE2PF
david.mueller@worldnet.att.net

PS:  160 is another matter.  I am a big fan of the top band contests, and
should I go back to Guam I will make an effort to operate from a remote
location with supports for an effective 160 ant. to try to reduce the demand
of rare KH2 on 160.

Ex KE2PF/NH2/KH0/DU1/DU3/V63PF