Confessions of a Sprint first-timer

Subject: Confessions of a Sprint first-timer
From: KY2P@aol.com (KY2P@aol.com)
Date: Sun Sep 8 02:55:20 1996
(I drank too much coffee during the CW Sprint tonight, so I figured
I'd put the time to use somehow).

(I've been contesting now for 15 years, and I have never entered a
Sprint contest before, except for two occasions several years back
where I handed out a few Q's.  Why?  I really couldnt say - mostly
because I didn't see it as being serious due to the length, etc.  I had
nothing whatsoever to back this up other than just sheer ignorance.)

I had decided early last week I was going to get on and hand out a
few Q's during the CW Sprint contest.  I am teaching myself two-
radio contesting, and figured this would be an ideal situation to get a
little practice time in.  Friday morning, inspiration struck while reading
the rules to the contest - gee, only three bands...I could get some
antennas up on Saturday and actually do the whole thing and try to
compete....

7:30 AM Saturday morning.  I just moved two months ago, and my
antenna "farm" consists of two dipoles, both 10 feet off the ground
hastily erected to get on for the NAQP CW contest.  That's simply
not going to do.  It'll be easy to get a couple of antennas up this morning
and then I'll have the rest of the day to . . . .

6:00 PM Saturday - after a trip to Home Depot, and several trips up onto
the second story roof with no lunch break, I managed to come up with
a dipole at 30 feet for 80 meters (NE/SW), a dipole at 20 feet for 40
meters (NE/SW), and a duct-taped 14AVQ vertical, which is now
ground mounted using the infamous cinder-block and big tree method
favored by Field Day slackers everywhere.   I have enough wire left for
two radials on 20 meters for the vertical.

7:45 PM Saturday - I've got both radios, keyers and paddles hooked up
and ready to go.  The extension cords are all set up - my shack in my new
house is in a finished attic...finished with everything except electricity.
50 foot orange electrical cord runs down the staircase to the dining room.
I've got two power supplies, the pencil sharpener, my vintage 1979 Autek
keyer,  and a 60 watt bulb on a power strip.  Everything is working great.
 I can hear W6 and W7 on the trap vertical on 20, so I decide to start by
calling CQ on 40 and S&P  with the second radio on 20.  Texas is very
loud on 20!

My laptop computer bit the dust in July and is  now fixed - but I don't
have the correct software for the Sprint contest.  Out comes the old blue
lined school notebook, as I am unable to locate any old SS log sheets.
Sheesh....

I start the contest on 40 and rack up some quick contacts, and don't even
listen to the second radio on 20 until about 10 minutes into the contest.  20
sounds good, but after calling a few stations it's become quickly obvious
that
on the vertical, anyone I am not hearing at least S7 is not hearing me, and
soliciting contacts on 20 is going to be impossible.  I have the memory keyer
pounding CQ on 40 and am tuning on 20 - there is no interference between
the two even though the antennas are only 50 feet apart.  I also have
realized
that it's going to take a little while to figure out what strategy I want to
use
to maximize the rate.  During the first hour, I distinctly feel like the
second
radio is slowing me down a little.  This turns out to not be true now that I
look
over the log.  What's really slowing me down is no one hears me on 20 !!

Second hour:  I have ascertained that the best way to keep up the rate
is to S&P with both rigs at the same time.  Calling CQ on the vertical on 20
is going nowhere.  The rate does start to pick up a little.  I can hear loud
signals rolling off healthy numbers on 20 - but there is so much activity
there
that each solicitation gets two or three callers.  Can't get through that.
 At
0130, I start flipping the 20 rig down to 80.  I decided beforehand to leave
one
rig on 40 for the whole contest and switch between 20 and 80 with the other
one.  I figured it was unlikely I'd need to be on 20 and 80 at the same time
and that turned out to be correct.  There is NOBODY on 80.  I hear the first
signal there around 0200.  I figure it's a chicken and egg thing there - 40
is
going well and 20 is still open...40 started to go very well at 0130Z, so I
put
the second rig on 3540 with the filters on 2.4 kHz to see if anything pops up
there...first Q comes in at 0213, followed by a few quick more and after a
few
minutes the floodgates are open.  By this time I'm hearing almost nothing on
20 except some real weak west coast that aren't hearing me anyway.
Q total after two hours = 99.

Third hour:  I only have one memory keyer, and it's on the 40 meter radio,
which is now only S&Ping.  I'm sending everything on 80 by hand, but I don't
want to stop to unplug and switch the keyers.  No one seems weak on 80 -
even the west coast is very audible by 0300z.  If I have to repeat "TN" one
more time I'm going to bite off the end of this pencil - oh vanity calls,
bring
me a nice one with a "4", so I can put an end to eight years of out-of-call
district contesting and everyone will copy my section right the first time.

Fourth hour:  I have 149 Q's after three hours, and 200 Q's looks possible if
the rate keeps the same.  I have started calling CQ again on 40 while tuning
on 80, because the 80 rate has slowed ***just*** enough to copy two signals
again at the same time.  A lesson learned here:  Got to figure out how to run
a substantial rate on one rig and tune around with the other.  When the rate
meter gets higher, it gets harder to listen to the other one.  Obviously this
is
no earth shattering news - but this is the first year I've tried this
two-radio bit.
The first half-hour is going well, and with 20 minutes to go, it looks like
I'll
make it to 200...but it drops off.  I end up with only 12 Q's for the last 20
minutes and fall 4 short.  Total Q count - 196.

Postcontest:  Tune to what turns out to be 3832.35 or so and listen.  I
didn't
keep a mult sheet so I am counting multipliers and come up with 40.  The
scores are coming in, and except for NM5M, it looks like my mults
are right in there and I'm only about 15 Q's behind most of the low power
entries.  196/40 final.  For using low wire antennas and a ground mount
vertical and no computer, it didn't turn out too bad!  If I'd had a better
antenna
on 20, I would have been able to work much more up there.  Easily could
have made up most of that in the first hour on 20 calling stations that were
not hearing me.

What I learned:  Two radios are hard, but it's getting easier all the time
and
I'm glad  I resisted the impulse to turn the volume down on one of them.
My knee-jerk reaction for what it takes to compete in the Sprint CW contest
is 1) don't tune around as fast as you do in other contests and 2) LISTEN TO
CALLSIGNS.  I'm sure I missed contacts because I was too impatient to wait
through the whole exchange; I could have gotten what I needed out of it by
listening to the callsigns and ignoring the rest of what was sent.  This is
a terrific contest and I am sorry I spent so many years totally ignoring it.

I operated serious single op for the WPX CW and IARU HF this year and I
had more fun with this one by far than either one of those.  I'll be back -
permanently.  I might even plug in a microphone and get on for the SSB
contest - unheard of in these parts...

73  Scott (soon to be ex-)KY2P