September/October NCJ and October QST out

Subject: September/October NCJ and October QST out
From: HENRYPOL@aol.com (HENRYPOL@aol.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 23:47:31 1996
Was out of town on business eariler this week so am not sure when these
arrived.

9/10 NCJ

Cover photo of K8MR operating from W9OCF, plus (drum roll!) a feature article
by K8MR about that operation.  Good Job NCJ staff!

Feature articles:  For The Record - KE2PF at N2RM in 96 CW WPX Contest; Band
Switching Stubs for the Single-Op Two-Radio Station; Contest Genetic
Engineering - Sweepstakes Roving; "Field Day" at Jaggard School; Memories of
the 1996 IARU HF Contest; Winning an ARRL DX Contest Single-Band Plaque from
the Midwest; Review of the Heil Pro-Micro Boomset; The Band Isn't Closed
Until the Contest is Over!; Charlie's Contesting Hints; and Work Those Dupes!

Regular Columns:  NCJ Profile - KM9P; Propagation - reviews of MINIPROP Plus
2.5 and CAPMan 3.0 & CAPMap; Contest Tips, Tricks, & Techniques - Split
Frequency Operation; VHF-UHF Contesting - 96 June VHF Contest data and
contest review of MFJ-9406; International Contests - results from 95 CWC, 95
WAGC, 4th A-PS, 95 VIC, 95 BDXC, and 95 JIDXC Phone; Contest Advisory
Committee Report; Upcoming Contest Expeditions; and more pictures from
Dayton.

Scores:  96 WRTC; 96 KCDXC CW Pileup Contest; Second Annual Collegiate
Championship; and Rumors - 96 IARU HF Championship.

Plus several "Shorts" items, a full page editiorial, and several letters.

October QST

Front cover photo of a Scandinavian shack that is in two countries, right on
the border of Sweden & Norway.  Does this mean that when you work it in a DX
contest it counts as a double multiplier?

Contest-related articles:  Heavy-Duty HF Propagation-Prediction/Analysis
Software, Part 2 (SKYCOM 2.0 & HFx); The ABCs of CC&Rs; "Antenna Here Is A
Full-Size Rhombic at 170 Ft."; Breaking the Sound Barrier (cracking the
pileups); Hints & Kinks - MFJ-432 voice keyer, Omni VI, and CMOS Super Keyer
mods; Technical Correspondence - Off-center-fed Dipole Comments; and Results
- 96 ARRL Int'l DX Phone Contest.

Other interesting articles:  SWR Analyzer Add-On; Homebrew, Light-Duty Metal
Brake; An Antarctic DXpedition, JOTA 96; Don't Look Down! (1000 ft up on a
tower); Product Review - MFJ 9406 six meter SSB transceiver; Lab Notes - Here
Comes the Sun!; Spectrum Challenges Ahead; plus more .....

Up Front in QST has an interesting photo of a way to hide your tower in those
neighborhoods with CC&Rs.  New ad from Ten -Tec has their new Centaur amp.

73 and good reading,

Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
henrypol@aol.com