November QST out;CQWW SSB Contest operation

Subject: November QST out;CQWW SSB Contest operation
From: HENRYPOL@aol.com (HENRYPOL@aol.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 18:13:27 1996
Stopped by the PO Box on the way to work this morning and found the latest
issue of QST inside mixed with all of the political campaign contribution
requests.  Something is wrong!  They spent most of the money I gave them
several months ago on postage for sending me additional requests.  Oh well,
enough on that.  However, I would like to encourage everyone to VOTE for the
candidate of your choice who reflects the values/positions that you emulate.

OK, so what's in this issue....

Front cover photo of a recent Field Day site.  It looks like a great location
for one of the upcoming contests, nothing but water between it and Europe,
plus a lighthouse for some 160/80 slopers, etc.

CONTEST related articles:  The Truth About Contesters (more about WRTC-96);
Happenings - Novice/Tech Contest Under Study; and Results - Field Day 1996.

Other interesting items:  Build a Power Attenuator (a low-power output port
for dummy load); Recycling TV Antennas for 2 Meter Use (you will not need
them after following-through on the Radio Shack ad, see below :-)); FCC Grand
Island Monitoring Station (closed!; results of reduction in the size of
government!, more to come?, is Gettysburg next?); Product Review - seven
2-meter mobile rig comparison (includes the Ten-Tec T-kit 1220); and Lab
Notes - Multiband Dipoles Compared.

As for ads:  MFJ has their (including Ameritron, Mirage, & Vectronics)
complete 1997 catalog inside with some NEW items - two antenna tuners, one
(MFJ-969) covers 160-6 meters, monoband CW QRP rigs, noise canceling active
antenna (same as JPS ANC-4?), and pocket Morse Code Tutor; and of course,
there is the new Kenwood TS570D on the back cover.  Radio Shack has an ad for
the Direct Broadcast Satellite systems they sell for home viewing of movies,
sports, etc.  Has Radio Shack petitioned the ARRL Awards Committee for a
future new WAS award? (Worked All Satellites?) :-)

Good luck in the CQ WW Phone Contest!  Oh, I almost forgot, I officially
announce that I WILL NOT OPERATE from a congested residential area of
Raleigh, NC.

73 and good reading,

Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
henrypol@aol.com