Subject: Summary: where exactly is the band edge?
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 09:26:58 1996
Hi Bob,

>Principles 1 and 2:
>1-  When you're on USB, your signal is above the indicated frequency.
>2-  On LSB, your signal is below the indicated frequency.
>Theory:
>Theoretically is no energy between your center frequency and say 200 or 300
>hz or so ?  All energy is between whatever the lower start "point" of your
>bandwidth is at 200 or 300 hz and goes up to 3khz or more (if you have a
>bad signal) from center.
>
>Agreed ?

No.

My ICOM 751A (using the Mil Spec or commercial standards, not the ARRL's)
measures -25 dB for third and -28 for 5th order products. In addition it has
higher order products extending out for many kilohertz.

(I re-worked it and it is much better, now in the -35 dB range)

If my MODIFIED and IMPROVED rig is set within ten KHz of the band edge, its'
output would contain emissions outside the band. If S meter's were made and
calibrated correctly (they are not) and I was 40 dB over nine, my crud would
be about S-9 outside the band if I was parked on the edge.

If IMD isn't bad enough, turn to the page in the manual where the
manufacturer gives filter specs. Look at its' SSB filter attenuation.

This was always a problem on 160 and on other bands where weak signals and
strong SSB signals are mixed. Some operators look at their dials and think
(quite incorrectly) their signals extend in one direction 3 KHz, but in real
life they most certainly do not.

And this is all true both in theory and in practice. Operating on the edge of
a band or a few KHz from a weak signal area is Liddish.

73 Tom