Subject: Summary: where exactly is the band edge?
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 21:27:21 1996
Hi Bob,
>I think you missed my point - or - we're not talking about the same thing.
> I'm talking about the stuff that if, as in my example, if you were
>transmitting right on 21.200.000 USB, you would have no signal BELOW
>21.200.000.  The stuff I believe you're talking about extends further ABOVE
>your operating frequency on USB.  The opposite would be true on LSB.

IMD is independent of the sideband selected or filter quality. The best radio
I've ever measured was a tube type with 6146 tubes, and it was only in the
-40 dB range (below one tone). The worse was a 747 Yeasu at -22 dB. Tube type
rigs generally die off fast as product order increases, transistor rigs
sometimes spread out far in bandwidth before IMD disappears.

Every radio has stuff sticking out both sides, for several KHz. The level is
low, between -25 and -40 dB, but it is there. Phone operators that crowd a
weak signal area, or get right on the band edge, need to be aware of this
fact.

While the standard reply is "I must be overloading your receiver", the fact
is most receivers have a dynamic range near 100 dB, and most transmitters
have IMD in the -30 dB range. If the receiving station is in a quiet
location, splatter from a properly operated transmitter 5 KHz or more away
can be devastating to weak signal reception.

If you get a bandwidth report from a buddy in a noisy location, he might not
hear the garbage.... but make no mistake, it is there.

Ref. page 26.49 of the 1995 ARRL Handbook under transmitter performance
tests, but be aware the ARRL uses a non-standard test that makes things look
six dB better than they are by commercial or mil standards.

73 Tom