Elevated verticals

Subject: Elevated verticals
From: CQK8DO@aol.com (CQK8DO@aol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 7 07:31:37 1996
The work of Moxon, and others, has shown that elevating the radials just a
few feet reduces ground coupling and ground losses considerably.... For 80
meters, a 3 foot elevation of the radials reduces ground currents >90%...
 For my 160 array, the pair (as in 2) of elevated radials are about 7'  at
the low point.... attaching and then removing, etc. an 8' lead to a copper
ground stake does not change the measured antenna impedence even 1 ohm...
(wet ground, rich pastoral soil, considered to have excellent
conductivity)... this indicates, to me, that the pair of radials have coupled
to the vertical to an extent that they are screening it from ground  with
high efficiency....
i.e. in the equation
Effieciency = Ra / (Ra + Rg)
the ground current due to Rg must be small....
Even after having reviewed the literature on this, I have to admit I was both
impressed and a bit surprised... Like most, I have the mental image of 120
radials as being the ideal... OTOH, we don't fuss because a dipole antenna
has only 2 elements!  ... So by analogy, if the radials are the other half of
the dipole, and are elevated above ground and are resonant, then 2 should be
sufficient ( only 1 radial allows the vertical to see too much ground on the
side opposite the single radial)...

Denny

>From millersg@dmapub.dma.org (Steve Miller)  Sat Dec  7 13:53:49 1996
> The work of Moxon, and others, has shown that elevating the radials just a
> few feet reduces ground coupling and ground losses considerably.... For 80
> meters, a 3 foot elevation of the radials reduces ground currents >90%...

I have serious doubts about such a claim - please cite the references.

>  For my 160 array, the pair (as in 2) of elevated radials are about 7'  at
> the low point.... attaching and then removing, etc. an 8' lead to a copper
> ground stake does not change the measured antenna impedence even 1 ohm...

A single, electrically short ground stake will not significantly reduce
ground losses (except perhaps in seawater). This comparison simply indicates
the change in Rg is small compared to Ra between the two cases.

> (wet ground, rich pastoral soil, considered to have excellent
> conductivity)...

Copper, silver, etc. have excellent conductivity - soil does not. This
difference is not subtle.

> this indicates, to me, that the pair of radials have coupled
> to the vertical to an extent that they are screening it from ground  with
> high efficiency....
> i.e. in the equation Effieciency = Ra / (Ra + Rg)
> the ground current due to Rg must be small....

Your test indicates the 2 radials plus ground stake reduces ground loss
about the same as the 2 radials alone. What is missing in order to
determine efficiency is the input impedance with just the ground rod and
a reasonable model of the vertical over perfectly conducting ground
(i.e. a good estimate of Ra with no ground losses)

> Even after having reviewed the literature on this, I have to admit I was both
> impressed and a bit surprised... Like most, I have the mental image of 120
> radials as being the ideal... OTOH, we don't fuss because a dipole antenna
> has only 2 elements!  ... So by analogy, if the radials are the other half of
> the dipole, and are elevated above ground and are resonant, then 2 should be
> sufficient

Your analogy assumes the 2 radials (or dipole) are the other "half" of
the (vertical) dipole which is incorrect. The presence of the earth still
plays a role in forming the image.

> ( only 1 radial allows the vertical to see too much ground on the
> side opposite the single radial)...

How much ground does the vertical see at right angles to the 2 radials?
Quite alot I would say....

Not a flame, just electromagnetics.

Steve Miller   N8SM
millersg@dma.org