a great call

Subject: a great call
From: ka9a@cris.com (Bill Fageol)
Date: Wed Jan 22 23:08:11 1997
bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com wrote:

>  Se> Regardless of how it was done, the entire intent of the Vanity
>  Se> Call procedure was pre-empted in this case. No way can it be
>  Se> argued that this call, assigned to a local Hawaiian club is
>  Se> within that intent.   de KL7HF
>
> Since you brought up intent of the procedure, can anyone please explain how
> this is any different than the multitude of PHONY club calls that have been
> issued? I think the right thing to do is to work 'em and then delete 'em
> from the log in any contest!  Does anyone have a list of these calls? I think
> there is a growing sentiment to do just what I have suggested.
>
> de N6CQ

I certainly agree with N6CQ. The phony club calls are another means of
showing how mankind is sliding into the morass of slime, deceit, lies
and similar such stuff.

Its about like the vanity extra's asking why there is RF in the shack,
when they transmitt their Alpha into the antenna that's a few feet away.
Or when they ask how long to cut a dipole or other similar "technical"
question to the reflectors. Seems to me that they "may" not be quite
qualified for "extra" class operation......

From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid) (Jim Reid)
Subject: Animosity about A Great Call

At 08:23 PM 1/21/97 , was written:

>Here's an interesting call sign issued during the Vanity Call Program.
>
>    AL0HA {ALzeroHA)
>
>Of couse that's an Alaskan call. But - issued to the
>"Coconut Island DX Association, ALOHA  (KH6B)

So how mnany people in Alaska want the call??

If the guys on the Big Island of Hawaii want to have some
fun with a Hawaiian word as a call,  what is the harm?

Folks all over the rest of the USA are getting calls outside
their "districts".  Only the ARRL thinks Hawaii and Alaska
are still other countries!  We who live here,  at least most
of us,  think of ourselves as US citizens with all the rights and
privledges of same.

It IS a VANITY program,  after all.  Vanity =  pride?
or is it vanity = futility??

How about the people who were first in line at the Mellon bank
that night:  they got KH7A and KH7DX;  and they live in Japan!
Both of those calls were on my list!  But the FCC assingned
calls "at random",  we were told; thus,  since they were first
they got them at random.

And neither have worked VK0IR (or probalby any other DX).
(But they have a condo on Maui,  as do many Japaneese visitors
to Hawaii).  Of course KH7DX upgraded  to Advanced about
10 days before 9/23;  and to Extra almost simultaniously with
the application for KH7DX (with-in two days of the 610V
application)..  Wonder how THAT was possible?

Just some thoughts about all the Hawaiian KH6 calls that went
to citizens of Japan over the years.  Of course,  it is good to see
them study for and pass the US tests for Extra class operating
skill (20 wpm CW) and the technical stuff.

There is a lot of stuff going on in the world impacting our hobby;
again,  just more thoughts as I read the acrimony about the fun-
and JOY,  of the guys on the Big Island who were able to
get the AL0HA call for their club on the Island of Hawaii.

As I say,  just some random thoughts.  Nothing serious.

73,  Jim, KH7M

From: trey@cisco.com (Trey Garlough) (Trey Garlough)
Subject: FSFD (50 States) Update for Jan 22 (fwd)

> Subject: FSFD (50 States) Update for Jan 22

The connection of this 50 day WAS marathon to contesting (and ergo to
the CQ-Contest mailing list) is tenuous at best.  I don't think
CQ-Contest is the right place.

--Trey, N5KO

From: trey@cisco.com (Trey Garlough) (Trey Garlough)

> There is a lot of stuff going on in the world impacting our hobby;
> again,  just more thoughts as I read the acrimony about the fun-
> and JOY,  of the guys on the Big Island who were able to
> get the AL0HA call for their club on the Island of Hawaii.

Yep.  AL0HA.  Very clever.  Wish I had thought of it first.  What a
laugh!  And in November I couldn't help but notice the club call AB0ZO
for the Bozo Amateur Radio Fraternity or some such.  Good one!  I
honestly don't see what the big deal is.  I feel this kind of fun is
in much better taste than those folks who went and scarfed up multiple
1x2 callsigns, simply because they could.

--Trey, N5KO

"Just a couple of kids, having some fun."  -- Crocodile Dundee

From: kl7y@Alaska.NET (Dan Robbins) (Dan Robbins)

>To: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
>From: Dan Robbins <kl7y@alaska.net>
>Subject: Re: A Great Call
>
>At 06:38 AM 1/22/97 -1000, you wrote:
>
>>But the address does exist.  It is a condominium owned by
>>KH6AFS who is a founding member of the Coconut Island
>>club.  The island is in Hilo Bay.  KH6B, Dean is ARRL Section
>>Mngr. for Hawaii.  Sam,  KH6AFS goes to his condo
>>regularly for holiday away from Hilo,  just as you
>>Alaskans come down here to Hawaii for holiday at
>>times.  It's a change from the regular.
>>
>>73,  Jim, KH7M
>>On the Garden Island of Kauai
>

>Jim,
>
>Do you sell used lemons, err used cars?  Who cares if the address exists,
the radio club is not in Alaska and should not have an Alaskan call.
Bamboozle, Fraud, BS, that's what you're trying to justify.  Where are your
scruples?  If the KL7 section manager claimed a phony club in Kauai we'd
vote his pompous rear out of office.  Just because it's cute doesn't mean
it's right.

From: n4bp@shadow.net (Bob Patten) (Bob Patten)

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Trey Garlough wrote:

> > Subject: FSFD (50 States) Update for Jan 22
>
> The connection of this 50 day WAS marathon to contesting (and ergo to
> the CQ-Contest mailing list) is tenuous at best.  I don't think
> CQ-Contest is the right place.

Sorry, I equated "challenge" to "contest".  If this is your wish, I will
stop the posts.  I did get responses from two interested "contesters"....

73,

Bob Patten, N4BP
Plantation, FL
n4bp@shadow.net

From: oh6yf@tiltu.teuva.fi (Harri Mantila OH6YF-OH0MYF) (Harri Mantila
OH6YF-OH0MYF)
Subject: Contest Club Finland's pedition

Hello!

The members of the Contest Club Finland will be working CQ 160 Meter
Contest as OH0AM from Aland Islands. We are specially looking for the
U.S.A. and Japan with our new antenna. So, hopefully we'll get a new one
to as many as possible. Operators are OH1EH, OH1MDR, OH6EI & OH6YF.

Myself I will be looking also for the WARC band QSO's as OH0MYF. See
you...

73 de Harry OH6YF-OH0MYF
HARRI M. MANTILA             COLOR MANTILA OY LTD.
OH6YF - OH0MYF               "Advertising services & Computers"
B.Sc. (El. Eng.)
P.O.Box 30                   Asematie 4
FIN-64701 TEUVA, FINLAND     FIN-61300 KURIKKA, FINLAND
Tel: +358 400 160368         Tel: +358 400 160368
Fax: +358 6 4502673          Fax: +358 6 4502673
mail: oh6yf@tiltu.teuva.fi   mail: mantila@tiltu.teuva.fi
http://www.teuva.fi/~oh6yf/  http://www.teuva.fi/yritykset/mantila/

From: timo.klimoff@ktm.vn.fi (Klimoff Timo) (Klimoff Timo)
Subject: Contest Club Finland in CQ160

Hello everyone!

Contest Club Finland activates some potential big signals during the CQ WW
160m contest next weekend:

Some of these includes:

OH0AM    -   multi single from Brando Power Hut by OH1EH, OH1MDR, OH6EI & OH6YF
OH1AF    -   myself (OH1NOA) having fun(?) with a rotten inv V
OH1HS    -   himself with 3el vertical array
OH1NSJ   -   himself with a balloon vertical, a portable QTH near sea
OH2HE    -   multi single, normally the best signal on any band from OH!
XX9TR    -   multi single by OH2BH, OH2PM and OH2YY

Rumoured: a single opr station from OH0 ..

Work 'em all!

73 de Timo OH1NOA
(timo.klimoff@ktm.vn.fi)
One of OH1AF Contest Gang and Contest Club Finland board member

From: andriusi@siauliai.omnitel.net (Andrius Ignotas) (Andrius Ignotas)
Subject: need adress

hello,

does anybody know e-mail adress for  WW 160M CW TEST???

73!ANDY LY2BTA

From: andriusi@siauliai.omnitel.net (Andrius Ignotas) (Andrius Ignotas)
Subject: results

 I NEED RESULTS OF WAE DX CONTEST CW 1996!!!!

who can help me???????????

ANDY

From: slazar19@sgi.net (Spike Lazar) (Spike Lazar)

This one is starting to look real good, I'm really enjoying
it and I just have to AH0RN in, it's just too good to pass up!

Dan: I'm sorry Jim, but what you say is a bunch of AH0HEY!

Jim: You called me a used car salesman, but your an AH0LE!

Dan: Well your just AH0NKY, so go suck a pineapple!

Jim: Oh Ya, Well your just AH0MO, go piss on a glacier!

Dan: Well your AL0NE on this one and you should put
     your brain in gear before thinking AL0UD!

Jim: You better get AH0LD of yourself, just because you
     live in the dark 24 hours a day, doesn't mean you
     can give me AH0SE job!

Dan: Well I'm glad AH0RDE of JA's scarfed up all the good
     Hawaiian calls, yours is such AL0SER!

Jim: Well matey, your boats leaving the port, I'll end
     this one wishing you bonvoyage and ships AH0Y!

Sincerely,
dr. Bafoofnik

p.s., well I guess I'll be missing two mults this weekend!