4-port serial cards...

Subject: 4-port serial cards...
From: wa1uar@eecorp.com (Michael A. McCarthy)
Date: Sat Jan 25 20:33:20 1997
   Since many motherboards are now being manufactured with 2 serial
ports installed, a good alternative is a 4 port card that only has 2
of the ports populated.  The boards can address these 2 ports as
COM 3 and 4 at any IRQ's (2-15) that you have open.  They cost about
$50 at Comp-USA and Computer City.  Taking a good look through
Computer Shopper should get you one for even less.  If you need all
4 of the ports, an upgrade kit is available for (I think) $39.00.

   My system is configured as follows:

Motherboard
     COM1, IRQ 4 - mouse
     COM2, IRQ 3 - TNC
Add on card
     COM3, IRQ 9 - Rig
     COM4, IRQ 12 - Open (Future RTTY)
2 port serial card
     LPT1, IRQ 7 - Printer
     LPT2, IRQ 5 - Keyer
Other IRQ's
     Ethernet IRQ 10
     Hard Drive IRQ 11
     Sound Card IRQ 15

Now let's see, IRQ 14 is still available.....

73'es
Mike, W1NR

Michael A. McCarthy, President              Phone: (508) 460-6737
Everest Engineering Corporation             Fax:   (508) 460-7951
4 Barnes Circle                             E-mail wa1uar@eecorp.com
Marlborough, MA 01752