Icom IC-756

Subject: Icom IC-756
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Wed Jan 29 04:06:52 1997
Fatchett, Mike wrote:

> I just spoke with Gary at Icom.  He told me that the IC-756 is a
> quadruple conversion receiver, DSP counting for one of the stages.
>  Apparently you can put one filter in the 455 and the 8.3 stages.  I
> guess you will be a code person or a phone person.  The DSP is always on.
>  He mentioned that the 775 has more flexibility in the DSP area.
>
> A small number of units have shipped with more expected very soon.
>
> Mike
> W0MU
The IC-781 and IC-775 are both quadruple conversion, the DSP in the 775
NOT counting as one of these stages.  fyi

Bill, N3RR

From: merchant@silcom.com (Stephen Merchant) (Stephen Merchant)

At 04:06 AM 1/29/97 -0800, Bill Hider wrote:
>Fatchett, Mike wrote:
>>
>> I just spoke with Gary at Icom.  He told me that the IC-756 is a
>> quadruple conversion receiver, DSP counting for one of the stages.
>>  Apparently you can put one filter in the 455 and the 8.3 stages.  I
>> guess you will be a code person or a phone person.  The DSP is always on.
>>  He mentioned that the 775 has more flexibility in the DSP area.
>>
>> A small number of units have shipped with more expected very soon.
>>
>> Mike
>> W0MU
>The IC-781 and IC-775 are both quadruple conversion, the DSP in the 775
>NOT counting as one of these stages.  fyi
>
>Bill, N3RR

W6OTC and I have been helping Icom with late evaluation of the 756.
Contrary to Mike's statement, the dsp is not always on.  In fact, it is on
only when you select either the Noise Reduction feature <this is on/off plus
gain control>, or automatic Notch <works only in ssb>, or when you are
transmitting ssb and have opted to tailor your low/high freq passband for
ssb xmit.  Otherwise the 756 is a conventional radio, using crystal filters,
and having 3 ifs plus the 15 Khz <approx.> if for the dsp stuff.  That
aside, the receiver is quite good for a radio at this price point.  The
spectrum scope is very useful, and programming is a breeze.  The only
obvious drawback is the limitation on number of optional filters you can add
<one per i.f., two total.>

73,

Steve K6AW