letter

Subject: letter
From: Tom@utd.com (Tom@utd.com)
Date: Tue Jan 28 23:55:55 1997
>Open letter to N4MM

<BIG SNIP>

Hail and well met! Needles to say, I heartily agree with everything Bob
has so eloquently stated. But I would like to draw your attention to a
little gem that you may have missed on the first reading. To wit...

> While it
>might be a good idea to revisit the club competition rules
>for determining categories, with regard to mileage and number
>of entries, allowing dual submissions is not a good idea
>and should not be reconsidered by the CAC.

If the goal is to increase participation, what better way to do it than
to than to increase the mileage allowance for the Local club category?
I know you big club guys will have a hard time getting your brain
around this, but imagine living in west Texas, or southern Colorado.
These folks drive 30 miles just to get gas, how can they possibly get a
radio club together with 10 entries when they don't even have 10
neighbors within 20 miles. If we adjust the rules to allow all these
small clubs in the 15-30 member range be competitive, I would think
we'd see a lot more participation, don't you? Don't get me wrong, I
really don't expect a lot of support for this idea because you and I
both know that the goal here is not to increase participation, it is to
increase the scores for the mega clubs. So either call a spade a spade,
or put your energy where you say it is, and get behind a rule
improvement that WILL increase participation.

Maybe I sound a little hot here (and I am), but I'm getting tired of
all this effort directed toward winning. Now it seems that those who
can't win are trying to get the rules changed so that they can (this
comment is not directed at N4MM, but the community as a whole). Why
can't WE get the emphasis back on having FUN, and LEARNING something in
the process? How can we expect new people to enter an arena that is
full of battered bodies and blood? Remember when you were a Tech, or
new General? Didn't you find someone to help you and answer your
incessant questions? Didn't you get pleasure from those first few
contest QSO's when the op on the other end said "Thanks for the call"
or just "TU"? I just don't like the way our ethics and ideals are
degrading here. I don't know about you, but I'm in it for the long
haul, which means we need to look at the future. That, my friends,
means we need to encourage and nurture need people in this fine sport.

So ask yourself this: Where do you stand, the short haul or the long?

Respectfully, Tom (future former)N2GQS
Tom@utd.com

(I've been dying to test out this new flame suit I got for Christmas
instead of a DSP.)