[CQ-Contest] Signing Portable, part 2

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Signing Portable, part 2
From: K9PG@aol.com (K9PG@aol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 03:36:12 1997
On Tue, 25 Feb 1997 20:29:16 -0500 (EST), K9PG@aol.com wrote:
<snip>
>>When I go to Hawaii on Thursday, I plan on signing KH7/K9PG
>
>>Will this be wrong?
>
>>Paul  K9PG
>Yes.  Please sign KH6/K9PG.  If I have to explain this to you, please leave
>your rig at home.

>73, Bill W7TI
>wrt@eskimo.com

==================================
Well, the consensus seems to agree once again that it is okay to sign the
portable part at the beginning of the call as long as you are on a US
territory or KL7/KH7.

Just like I thought, no one is required to sign portable if they op from KP2,
KH7, KH2, because they are US territories (unless of course you are operating
out of the US band, ie 7075, 3695...)  because the FCC does not require you
to sign portable if you are on a US territory...  I would be fine just
operating as K9PG from Hawaii or Puerto Rico....   just like AH3C, KH6CP and
many others aren't/weren't  required to sign /W7 and-or W1/  etc...

However, if you are operating from a non-US territory, I think it would be
proper to sign your call just as it appears on the license...   WX9E/VR2,
J8/WX9E, YV5/WX9E...    That one is easy to figure out.

So Bob, you are wrong...  but I am still waiting for you to explain this one
to me and others, and I'm not gonna buy the old "people will think it's Kure"
argument.  That one may have worked way back when they started this new call
sign allocation 2 years ago, but that is long since been out dated.

For more information, check out KA9FOX's web page...  there is a complete
summary of this thread from the last time it appeared in Oct 1994.

http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/signing_portable.txt

Still leaving my radio at home...

Paul  K9PG@aol.com
ex J8/YV5/WP3/WP2/WX9E/VR2/FS///