[CQ-Contest] Remote Audio via RealAudio?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remote Audio via RealAudio?
From: wday@cq.net (Wayne Day)
Date: Sun May 11 20:38:42 1997
On Sat, 10 May 1997 18:29:01 +0200
CT1BOH - Jose Carlos Cardoso Nunes <ct1boh@mail.telepac.pt> mused...

>With internet available from everywhere soon we will be able to check into
>a web site and listen real audio to a DXpedition frequency,
>a contest operation etc.

>Who will be the first to put his contest real audio on a web site?

>Will it be the end of radio?

While it probably won't be RealAudio live from a DX-pedition (just THINK of
the cost of the INMARSAT link! Argh!), remote audio has been used quite
effectively in the past.. just look at the GIANT VOICE system the US Air
Force has ( worldwide network of transmitters and receivers that are remotely
controlled by touch-tones on a regular telephone circuit) in place and wonder
how many hams have used that system to operate "portable KG6" when stationed
in some place that didn't allow ham activity, but did provide easy access to
the AUTOVON (the Department of Defense telephone system).

What WOULD be practical, though, is a transceiver (or just the receiver) hooked
up to an interface so that the frequency and antenna selection could be
controlled remotely, and the audio from the receiver fed back via RealAudio to
the remote operator via the internet.  Who wouldn't want to know how their
signal sounds from across town or half-way across the continent?

Then, of course, the next step would be to complete a total interface...
operating a station remotely.. totally.. using the net to provide the data link.
Hmm.. think LPL or AU would "rent" out their station?

No, Carlos.. not the end of radio at all!

73 Wayne N5WD

 Wayne Day N5WD    wday@cq.net     Fort Worth,Texas,USA   |
   CompuServe: 76703.376@CompuServe.Com   n5wd@amsat.org  |  ,__o
 EMT/Paramedic @ MedStar Fort Worth  My work Phone? 9-1-1 |--\_<,
   Member: Bicycle Mobile Hams of America,LAB,LM-QCWA,ARRL(*)/'(*)