[CQ-Contest] STATE QSO PARTIES ARE TOUGH

Subject: [CQ-Contest] STATE QSO PARTIES ARE TOUGH
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Sun May 11 19:46:09 1997
ROBERT WANDERER writes:

>I think State QSO Parties are the toughest contests. You're working more of
>the weaker stations, those who don't understand contesting [if I ask for just
>signal report and state, why are you giving me your name?], those
>who don't know the rules, and those who either want to turn it into a ragchew
>or want to know how to QSL etc. The closest a "real" contest comes to this is
>probably Sweepstakes on Sunday afternoon.
>
>Any ideas on how to make it less tough?

I like this question.

I am going to let you in on a contest secret.
All contests are like this, if you work enough people.
Begging for QSOs in the countless small contests over the
years has made many contesters better contesters.

I have always said that it is not the first 10 hours of
ARRL SS that determines the winner - it is the last 5 to 10 hours.
It is much harder to make a 40 or 50 hour out of nothing than
it is to do those 100+ hours at the start.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.            "I'm on a mexican radio"