[CQ-Contest] STATE QSO PARTIES ARE TOUGH

Subject: [CQ-Contest] STATE QSO PARTIES ARE TOUGH
From: george@epix.net (George C. Cook)
Date: Mon May 12 13:41:39 1997
At 08:49 AM 5/11/97 -0700, ROBERT WANDERER wrote:
>I think State QSO Parties are the toughest contests. You're working more of
>the weaker stations, those who don't understand contesting [if I ask for just
>signal report and state, why are you giving me your name?], those
>who don't know the rules, and those who either want to turn it into a ragchew
>or
>want to know how to QSL etc. The closest a "real" contest comes to this is
>probably Sweepstakes on Sunday afternoon.
>
>Any ideas on how to make it less tough?

How about not bothering and leaving them alone?
Where are NEW contesters supposed to come from?

If some guy wants to spend a minute or two rag chewing what is the hurt?

If a fellow who doesn't know a thing about your state or it's QSO party
needs a little info why not spend a second giving it to them?

Why not invite and involve a bunch of No-Code Techs over to use your
station and learn how to contest?

Would it keep you from winning?  I don't think so because I have done
all
these things
 AND
Have won the MM category on the Pensylvania QSO party 2 years in a row
and
took Northampton county the year before those 2.

These are "real" contests and have a "REAL" purpose.  To tell people
about
your state, train new operators, have fun, and compete against the guys
you know and talk to on the local repeaters each day.

GCC
*George Cook.....AA3JU.....AKA "The Ratman" *
*george@epix.net.....AA3JU@W3PYF            *
*http://www.epix.net/~george                *
*Proudly Frankford Radio Club.........      *
*.......Proficiency Through Competiton.     *
*"Not just words but a way of life"         *