[CQ-Contest] Optimum Keyer Speed for WPX

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Optimum Keyer Speed for WPX
From: ve9aa@brunnet.net (Mike Smith-VE9AA, Coreen Smith-VE9AAA,)
Date: Tue May 27 12:19:42 1997
The difference between copying a number right, and a letter right are:
A letter can be anything from "." to "--.-" but a number is supposed to be
"5 characters long", so if you only hear 1, 2, 3, or 4 of the characters
 then you know that you may need a fill, whereas if the op sends "ANET"
then you may (or maynot) have busted the umber.

I agree with Randy and the group at large.  Abbr. numbers are OK for CQWW
where you are expecting 3, 4 or 5 out of the USA, and pretty much locked in
for other countries except UA9, etc.  You listen to see if in fact the clng
station sends what you think should be his correct zone number, but in
CQWPX it does make it tough to copy "ANET" at 40wpm.  Not so much that its
always really tough, but did he or you drop a "dit" somewhere? Hmmm. Often
times I am left wondering, and then must ask for a repeat or waster time
listening for his next exchange (hoping he won't QSY if it's a slow
band-hi)

ZV de ve9aa

Michael(ve9aa) & Coreen(ve9aaa) Smith
271 Smith Rd, Waterville
Sunbury Co, NB, E2V 3V6
Canada

Coreen (1997-1998 Co-President for Orchid Society of New Brunswick)
Mike (team leader for cy9aa)
DX-ers!
Also check out:
http://www.uksmg.org/cy9.htm
to read all about the upcoming trip to St. Paul Island as
C Y 9 A A - June 26th-July 3rd HF\VHF
CY9AA is: ve1pz-Doug,k7bv-Dennis,ve9aa-Mike

Mike's personal homepage is at:
http://members.tripod.com/~ve9aa/index.html
Coreen's personal homepage is at:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/2174