[CQ-Contest] Signal reports

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Signal reports
From: w9cf@ptolemy.la.asu.edu (Kevin E. Schmidt)
Date: Tue Jun 3 16:39:01 1997
I am not a serious contester, but I enjoy making contacts during
contests.  While, some ops do give out honest reports or at least not
599, like nearly everyone else, I generally give out 599 reports in the
exchange. However, it makes me feel strange to give 599 to a station I
can barely hear especially if I have to asked for repeats.

I find it just as easy to copy a real signal report as 599, and both
paper and TR allow me to trivially log a report other than 599.  The
only savings for me are on the transmit side where I don't have to
decide what report to give and if I'm using computer sending, I don't
have to type in the report. My reason for giving out 599 is so that
I don't annoy people who are serious competitors.

I am curious whether serious contesters feel the same way.  That is, do
you send 599 just to save time and effort in transmitting, and on the
receiving end you would just as soon get honest reports, or does
receiving honest reports slow you down and annoy you?

73 Kevin w9cf
Kevin Schmidt w9cf@ptolemy.la.asu.edu
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-1504
(602) 965-8240
(602) 965-7954 (FAX)