[CQ-Contest] Ideal Transceiver Discussion

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ideal Transceiver Discussion
From: leith@inhb.co.nz (Leith Jennings)
Date: Fri Jul 11 21:51:14 1997
Lee Buller wrote:

> Guys and Gals...you missed the point of the discussion.
>
> I don't want to discuss the finer points of already existing rigs.  Everyone
> knows those things ad naseum.  What I want to discuss is what you would like
> in an ideal rig if  you could build one from scratch.  Think of it as a
> Legos rig.  What would you like?
>
> How about....built in 2500 QSOs for each contest entered?   OK?  Lets get
> serious and talk about what you would like in a rig from Lego Radio Company?
>
> Lee
> k0wa@southwind.net
>
> PS - The 850 is not for sale....yet!
>
>  -
>  ---
> Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST@contesting.comHi all
Funny thing about tranceivers and radio design. What makes that perfect
tranceiver or
radio "feel" right and "look" right?. I don't have an answer but I can give you
examples. The Collins KWM2 and 75A4, Viking Ranger, FT101E, TS930, FT1000D are
all
examples of good design and they "felt" right to operate.

Others such as the Signal CX1, Central electronics 100V, KWM1, FT100, Central
Electronics 20A, TS820, NRD525, FT1 and others never "made it",  were unweildy
to use in
a contest and "died" in the market place. In modern days the TS950SDX was one
of those.
Lotsa knobs - average performance and the designer put everything but the
kitchen sink
into it.

I am sure all of us have succumbed to the lure of advertising and bought a new
piece of
gear and after owning for a few months, wished you had never bought it in the
first
place.Technically it may have been elegant but it was a dog from an operational
point of
view. We all have owned them!

So what makes a "classic" design. Bottom line is I don't know.... but that's
what you
need to have your perfect tranceiver designed as Lee! The point of all this is
that the
ideal tranceiver has to haved that indefineable little bit of "class" ... that
little
"extra" like the two tuning knobs on the FT1000D with two VFO's on each knob.
Brilliant!!! and brilliant design. For those of you who are avid DXers and
contesters
(is there anything else in life?) Look at how many knobs you twiddle in a
contest. Look
at what features you actually use. Amazing.

Find the answer Lee and you will have a first class air ticket to any radio
manufacturer
in the world.

For me.......Mecca is an FT1000D, K7BV's antenna system, sunspots of 200+ and a
callsign
of ZL9CI.

73 de Lee ZL2AL
L. F. (Lee) Jennings  ZL2AL   -   ex ZL8RI, ZL7AA, VE3LJ, VE3OE
"The worst day of DXing is infinitely  better than the best day working"
            "Ham radio is not so much a hobby as a way of life"

 -
 ---