[CQ-Contest] Macintosh Users in Contests?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Macintosh Users in Contests?
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Rod Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Sun Sep 21 19:43:15 1997
>Is there anyone out there using a Macintosh in contesting? If so, could you
>describe your setup to me? I am particularly interested in what software
>you are using.
>
>I am aware that the IBM PC and its assorted clones is the contest computer
>standard with such programs as CT, and that inexpensive PCs are readily
>available to run that software.
>
>I have been reading this list for awhile and have not heard anybody mention
>the Macintosh. Surely there must be a hardy Macaddict out there who has a
>viable setup for contesting with the Mac. Could you let me know how you do
>it? Thanks in advance. - Duffey KK6MC/5
>
>James R Duffey KK6MC/5 DM65
>30 Casa Loma Road
>Cedar Crest, NM 87008
Yep, James, there are some of us contesters that use Macs!!  I have enjoyed
using MacContest 3.6 and 4.0 by HB9CEY and I have used Marathon 4.1.  I
believe I prefer using Marathon, although it doesn't have as many features as
MacContest (which is shareware, btw) because it is afforded updating of
country lists by Sandy (slay@netcom.com) who assists the author of the software
in maintaining that country list, etc.

It will connect to a number of transceivers and update the frequency, band,
mode, etc.  It does not do all the things that CT will do but I have entered
into serious contesting with it and have done reasonably well (the limitations
were mine, not the software!) and look forward to using it during the CQWW
SSB contest this October.  It is a super contesting piece of software and I
just wish I could use it for everyday logging but it is not set up for that.
For contesting, Marathon 4.1 is very good!

I run a Mac Classic II now.  I have run this software on an SE.  It connects
directly to the FT-1000MP and through a level translater box for Kenwoods
(the standard setup).  I think it is very easy to use and I thoroughly enjoy
it.  Believe you would, too.

It can be purchased for a moderate price from Kevin Kruger, N0IOS.

He has a demo disk for $10 that will be applied toward purchase of the regular
software.  I recommend it.  I believe you could buy it direct and forget the
demo version, I have that much confidence in it!!!

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv@aeneas.net