[CQ-Contest] 40 meter operating practices

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 40 meter operating practices
From: desmith@Telalink.Net (Doug Smith)
Date: Sun Nov 2 22:19:22 1997
AA4LR wrote:
>Perhaps the solution is simply to permit US amatuers to operate SSB in
>some portion of the 7.000-7.100 range. Seems like most all of our Region
>2 breathren can, so why not?

And write off CW contesting on 40!  Seriously, any part of this spectrum we
open to U.S. SSB will promptly become chock full of regular activity.
Activity that won't go away just because CW SS or CW WW are in progress.
(and incidentially, activity that'll push the data mode signals even lower
in the band)  Any part of this range we open to SSB operation is lost to CW.

40m is a problem.  It simply isn't wide enough; there is no real solution
except a wider exclusive-amateur band.  (which luckily I do think we stand a
chance of getting)

I suppose in the short term, there could be "contest judges" -- trusted
operators appointed by the WW sponsors who'd agree not to operate in a given
year's WW, and instead listen only and report violations of contest and
national regulations to the sponsors.  Single violations could result in
score reductions, and multiple violations in possible disqualification.  I
know there are some operators who don't particularly care to operate
seriously in SSB tests & might be willing to serve in this capacity -- it
might be somewhat harder to find CW judges<g>..

73 Doug

Douglas E. Smith  W9WI/4                desmith@Telalink.net.xxx
1385 Old Clarksville Pike               (preferred for long files)
Pleasant View, TN  37146-8098 USA              -or-
(615) 746-5205                          72777.3143@compuserve.com.xxx
                                        (preferred for time-critical info)
(.xxx added to end of email address to hopefully foil spammers)