[CQ-Contest] Re: 40 meter operating practices

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: 40 meter operating practices
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Tue Nov 4 21:43:58 1997
On Monday, November 03, 1997 17:34 PM, John Warren[SMTP:nt5c@easy.com] wrote:
>AA4LR wrote:
>
> |Perhaps the solution is simply to permit US amateurs to operate SSB in
> |some portion of the 7.000-7.100 range. Seems like most all of our Region
> |2 brethren can, so why not?
>
>Doug Smith W9WI/4 replied:
>
> |And write off CW contesting on 40!  Seriously, any part of this spectrum
> |we open to U.S. SSB will promptly become chock full of regular activity.
> |Activity that won't go away just because CW SS or CW WW are in progress.
>
>Not a problem for CW if the Lower 48 had the same 'phone rights as KL7,
>KP2/4 and KH6, i.e. 7075-7100. Even 25KHz would be better than zero! And
>the VEs shouldn't complain if they still keep the U.S. out of most of
>"their" sparsely populated band. (Or give the VEs exclusive use of
>7150-7175 in return?)
>
>The custom of operating split in ssb contests (which is fine with me) could
>still continue, but ssb dx activity outside of contests would be greatly
>increased if we had SOME overlap with the rest of the world.
>
>John, NT5C.

Isn't there a proposal or something that will be going before the
next WRC (99?) that will recommend/propose that the 40m
amateur band be extended downward 100kHz to slip us out
from under much of the foreign broadcast (they may even be
sliding up 100kHz, too!) and the DX ssb band? The amateur
radio phone band overseas and stateside will be the same.

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u