[CQ-Contest] VO- SPOILERS !

Subject: [CQ-Contest] VO- SPOILERS !
From: gussam@newcomm.net (Gus Samuelson)
Date: Thu Dec 11 22:57:31 1997

Subject:        [CQ-Contest] ARRL  160M   CONTEST  "SPOILERS"

ARRL  160M   CONTEST  "SPOILERS"    de    N4KG

I'm sure there was more DX available but I did not spend much time
looking, concentrating instead on a possible "sweep".  The 4 spoilers
included  the 3 new sections  VO,  NNY,  KP4 and VE8.  Apparently the
movers and shakers who pushed for the creation of those new sections
are NOT  160M  enthusiasts!

VO     ZERO

de   Tom   N4KG   in   ALabama

Hello Tom:

I guess once again I find myself defending the recent
section status accorded Newfoundland & Labrador.
I think as contesters we tend to rather narrowly focus our
attention to multiplier status as opposed to the many other reasons for a  new
section having been created.
The Amateur radio population in Newfoundland, contrary to trends prevailing
elsewhere, has expanded tremendously in the past 10 years.
Statistically we have gone from a ham community of about 450
to 1300 or so at last count. About 300 % , hardly in keeping with global trends
!
Quite obviously they do not necessarily all  share the same community of
interests as our many contesting aficionados.
However I don't think I need to  elucidate that the ARRL/CRRL provide
a multiplicity of services and cater to a unique hobby / avocation
which is  indeed, multi-faceted.
Undoubtedly over time some of these graduates will filter into the contesting
area of the hobby.
In fact, I have heard several " new Calls " in recent contest events.
It goes without saying that 160 meters provides tremendous challenges
especially with antennas. Most of the  active top band operators from this
region are dxers as opposed to contesters.
While I did manage to make a few contacts during the test
calling cq contest with only 100 watts ( tl-922 gone south sb220 no 160 ) for
over 1/2 hour with no takers is not my idea of a fun time.
One of the many unfinished antenna projects at my hill top locale
is a reasonably efficient transmitting low band ant.

This is our first season as a section , please be patient, I'm sure
there will eventually be lots of noise from this neck of the woods.

Very 73 GL in the pileups.
Gus VO1MP