[CQ-Contest] Strange 10m. L-paths

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Strange 10m. L-paths
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Mon Dec 15 20:02:01 1997
In a message dated 97-12-15 19:37:45 EST, RThompson@factorysoft.com writes:

> I have had some interesting experiences with 10m long path in the past.
>  Around 1979-1980 from K5RC I was able to work EU on 10m long path.  This
>  opening was very weak and would occur just after the VK/ZL signals faded
>  out.  As I recall, the time was 05-07Z.  I do remember working an
>  Italian station one night this way.
>
>  On a completely unrelated note, in 1981 I continuously copied the 28 Mhz
>  telemetry downlink from an OSCAR satellite as it travelled 1-1/2 times
>  around the earth!  Figure out that path.
>
>  Bring on the sunspots.

     This is really cool. During the last cycle, one of the locals who is a
real 10M devotee would get on at 21-2200 local (it's way past sunset here
anyway) and work some really interesting stuff. I think the most memorable was
the night that he and a bunch of us worked an Italian mountain climbing
expedition on Mount Everest in Nepal. Apparently they were using 10M for their
communications and one night the skip was IN! Imagine these guys in a tent at
over 20,000 feet, it's really cold and they're talking to us in Washington
State. Needless to say, we were all surprised.

    There's no meters like ten meters!

73,  Steve  K7LXC