[CQ-Contest] Multi-Single

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Multi-Single
From: dnorris@k7no.com (Dean Norris)
Date: Sun Dec 7 16:05:22 1997
At 03:56 12/07/1997 -0600, you wrote:
>From: k0hb
>To: dnorris@k7no.com
>Cc: CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM
>Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Multi-Single
>
>On Sat, 06 Dec 1997 17:19:41 -0700 Dean Norris <dnorris@k7no.com> writes:
>

>>I am sysop of a cluster and noticed that at least one contester that
>>enters as single op/unassisted was connected to the cluster for the full
>
>>period of the contest.  Suggestions?
>
>*Being connected* to the cluster is not necessarily cheating.  *Using
>the spots* (and claiming "unassisted") is cheating.
>
>For example, CT will allow a single op to be connected and even
>post spots, but it will not show that op the spots from other stations.
>
>On the other hand, it is possible to monitor the cluster without even
>being
>connected, so why connect and expose yourself to suspicion?
>
>If you feel the op is cheating, watch for a pattern of correlation
>between
>cluster spots and the suspect stations' operation.  For example, if the
>suspect station is running on 20, but shifts quickly to 15 to grab a
>spotted
>rare mult, then goes back to his run freq, you can assume he is "seeing"
>the spots, and may wish to send your cluster log to the contest sponsor
>for comparison with his log.
>
>Yes, some folks cheat.  No question of it.  But throwing away the
>single-op category to thwart some small number of poor sports is
>not the way to solve this problem.  (In fact the "problem" may be so
>small, it isn't worth our attention.)
>
>73, de Hans, K0HB

Please understand that I am NOT accusing anyone of anything.  As Hans and
many others have pointed out, CT and other programs allow one to be
unassisted while also allowing one to post to a cluster.  My query was only
for the purpose of information about user options and I was give a number
of those.  Many scenarios exist whereby one can be connected without
_necessarily _ receiving spots.  That was my intent and I have been
informed and satisfied.  I was merely making sure that a connection to a
cluster was NOT specifically disallowed IF a contester was entering as
unassisted.

thanks

cdn

                  C. Dean Norris, K7NO