[CQ-Contest] Re: dupes & RTTY

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: dupes & RTTY
From: desmith@Telalink.Net (Doug Smith)
Date: Thu Jan 8 11:41:30 1998
Re: sending off dupes..  On CW, understand that a fair percentage of the
folks you work can't copy 100% at the speed you're sending.  Many of them
only got your call & exchange because they listened to your last 5-10 QSOs &
assembled enough fills to count it.  Send something unexpected like "B4SRI"
(which may not even make sense to a non-contester who *can* copy 100% at
your speed!) and you've lost them.  If I forget to turn autodupe off & start
sending this, about half the time the dupe sends me an exchange -- or a
barrage of question marks -- anyway.  Just working them is easier for
everyone involved.

BTW I4JMY brings up an important point.  If you're working a lot of dupes,
you need to ask yourself why.  One thing that certainly leads to excessive
dupes is not IDing often enough.  When I'm S&P & I hear a QSO end, if the
finishing station doesn't sign his call, I call him.  And 50-75% of the
time, he's a dupe.  On the occasions I screw up & forget to sign *my* call
while running, 30-50% of the time the next station to call me will be a dupe.

(Jay VY1JA..  I don't claim to be a RTTY contester, but regular telephone
modem programs like Procomm Plus -- and even Windows Terminal -- work fine
with a MFJ-1278.)

73 Doug

Douglas E. Smith  W9WI/4                desmith@Telalink.net.xxx
1385 Old Clarksville Pike               (preferred for long files)
Pleasant View, TN  37146-8098 USA              -or-
(615) 746-5205                          72777.3143@compuserve.com.xxx
                                        (preferred for time-critical info)
(.xxx added to end of email address to hopefully foil spammers)