[CQ-Contest] Re: dupes & RTTY

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: dupes & RTTY
From: rbowen@iglobal.net (Ralph Bowen)
Date: Sat Jan 10 01:25:43 1998

> At 11:41 AM 1/8/98 -0600, Doug Smith wrote:
> >Re: sending off dupes..  On CW, understand that a fair percentage of the
> >folks you work can't copy 100% at the speed you're sending.  Many of them
> >only got your call & exchange because they listened to your last 5-10 QSOs &
> >assembled enough fills to count it.  Send something unexpected like "B4SRI"
> >(which may not even make sense to a non-contester who *can* copy 100% at
> >your speed!) and you've lost them.

Yep  I work 'em again (& again!).  Most of the time when I sent "QSO",
"B4", "DUPE", "SRI", etc. I get a "R  599 .. " or whatever, so I just
send the exchange in the first place & log the Q.

The big pain is SS, where, in order to log the guy as a dupe, you have
to struggle through an exchange to make sure that was who you worked
before.  And as Doug sez, most "casual dupers" don't know the code well
enuff to understand fills, etc., making for a nightmarish time consuming
QSO.   BUT  that's all part of the game!!!

Contesting is FUN!!

73,  Gator  N5RZ