[CQ-Contest] Contests on 30, 17, or 12

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contests on 30, 17, or 12
From: DavidHarper@tx.slr.com (DavidHarper@tx.slr.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 13:36:41 1998
N4ZR sez:

> How about a compromise -- no contests on these bands, but ARRL (or
> somebody) to sponsor a special DXCC-98 award for station(s) with most
> countries worked during 98 on 30, 17 and/or 12 meters.  Give a nice
> plaque
> and some ego points thru publication of national/regional standings.

A QRZ-DX newsletter a few months ago reminded readers that there is a
plaque available, I believe called WARC-500, for working 500 countries
on any combination of the WARC bands, and with no QSL's required.  I
don't recall off-hand the individual that is sponsoring this award, but
it shouldn't be too hard to find out.

And regarding Field Day and the WARC bands, I seem to remember one year
when you could earn bonus points by making 10 QSO's on one of the WARC
bands.  I think they were trying to get interest up on the newly opened
bands.

73 Dave WD5N      < DavidHarper@tx.slr.com >