[CQ-Contest] WARC & "anti-contests"

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WARC & "anti-contests"
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Mon Jan 12 11:56:10 1998

 John, K1RC wrote about WARC band "un-contests"....See his note at
 the bottom of this page:

 John,
 A few comments, since I participated in some of the earlier discussion
 on this issue.

   1.   I do accept that there are many guys who do NOT want contesting
      or 'special activities" on the WARC bands.  But, as I mentioned
      in one of my earlier postings, I don't like SSTV, and SSB in the
      CW portion of 40, and BSers in DX areas of the bands, etc.  We
         all come with our preferences and priorities, but in our society
         we must learn to compromise.  I must put up with SSB just above
         7000 Khz in the mornings, etc., & SSTV on 20 ssb freq's, and
      Latin SSB in the 10 meter cw band, ad nauseum.

   1.   I also accept that many folks don't want to change the status quo.
        That reminds of the AMERICAN move to preserve 'ancient' buildings..
        .......from the 1950's !!!  I don't think so !!  We are a world
     of change, of evolution, and of compromise.

   3. You, and folks of your persuasion, seem to want the WARC bands to
        remain as they always have been since we got the allocation.  I
        would suggest there is room for GROWTH, for change, and for others
     to participate/enjoy their interests in a given band.....so long
     as it is legal, moral, and ethical.  And....I might add, acceptable
     to the general group at large.

   4.   It seems to be as though if a contest for 6 hours per year existed,
     you would still be able to 'diddle' around for 99.9% of the year on
     JUST 30 meters.....and all other WARC bands would be available to
     you at the same time as well.  Good grief man, wouldn't that satisfy
     ALMOST ALL (more than 99.9%)of your own specialized interest in that
     one band ?????

 It simply amazes me that some folks seem to not have an ability to
 accept that OTHERS want to do something different that THEY want to
 do occasionally.  If you have a wife & kids, you will know about
 compromise.  All I am suggesting is a little compromise.  You of
 course will recognize that we are not required to ask for PERMISSION
 to initiate a "activity night" on 30 meters, but I for one, would
 certainly appreciate an open discussion on this, rather than a stone-
 wall from the other side.

 73
 Dale Jones  K5MM
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

At 01:51 PM 1/12/98, K1RC wrote the following about WARC "un-contest"

>Hi all,
>
>Been reading the thread about starting up some "non contest" activities
>on the WARC bands... Hows-about leaving the WARC bands as they are..
>
>If people want to work the WARC bands---Great! If not, thats OK too!
>
>The WARCs are a nice place to go to make a few qso's and work a few
>states/ctrys at your leasure without having to tweek your receiver up
>tighter than a drum just to hear what the other guy is saying....
>They're a place to give your ears A REST.
>
>Whatever mode you work on the WARCs, its great to switch on the speaker
>and maybe walk across the shack and diddle (no pun intended to the
>RTTY guys) around with a project or look up something on a subject
>the guy/gal at the other end is talking about.
>
>Then as he's turning back to you, you can amble back to the mic/keyer
>or whatever, and yak back at him while he is messing around on that
>end.....
>
>Sure you might want to "eek" out a coupla new states, or maybe a
>country/zone or two, but you can do it at your own pace--pass along
>some REAL information--and talk as long as you want without time limits...
 Don't get me wrong, I DO CONTESTS, BUT, I occasionally like to