[CQ-Contest] Portable Generators

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Portable Generators
From: Ve3bmv@aol.com (Ve3bmv)
Date: Tue Jan 13 23:24:10 1998
Another aspect when selecting generator is to look at the regulation -
feedback system from increased load. When operating CW and SSB the duty cycle
is quite different when receiving and when transmitting. If using linear load
can go from abt 300W on receive to up to 3000W on transmit and with pulsating
type of load. Cheaper generators have mechanical regulators with slow
response. The result is drop in voltage and slow recovery. (Frequency varies
too with RPM)
Better generators (I have seen this on some Hondas) have a magnetic regulator,
where increased load picks up the "gas pedal" on generator engine immediately
with increase of current drawn. The "hickup" is less pronounced and output is
more steady. Filaments in transmitting tubes dont like lower voltages and
cathodes get stressed = shorter life. It seems that it is better to use
generator with higher power rating to improve regulation. I have seen
generators with mechanical flywheel (don't remember make) which handled
pulsating loads very well.

HIH
Yuri K3BU, VE3BMV