[CQ-Contest] Portable Generators

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Portable Generators
From: ak6i@earthlink.net (Darrel J. Van Buer)
Date: Tue Jan 13 18:34:13 1998
Pete Smith wrote:

> This is developing into an excellent thread, but triggers an additional
> question:
>
> My QTH loses power fairly often in the winter.  This is critical only
> Anyway, in the interest of simplicity and low cost, I had thought to use a
> currently open 220 volt outlet in my garage as the input for my generator
> power.  So if I lose the mains, I would open the main breaker on my power
> panel (isolating my house from the mains), plug the generator into the 220
> outlet (it's a 220 genny, natch) and start it up.  When I see the
> neighbors' lights come back on, I turn off and unplug the generator, and
> then close the main breaker to restore power.
>
> Anything wrong with this scenario?
>
> 73, Pete Smith N4ZR
> n4zr@contesting.com

I'd really recommend a transfer switch as a safer installation.
This is basically a specialized breaker panel which allows you to
hook a circuit to exactly one power source.  Some even have ammeters
to assist in balancing the generator load.  Your idea is simple but
has a couple of opportunities for operator error zapping you big
time - get the sequencing wrong and you've got generator attached
to the grid for some real fireworks (a padlock on the main switch
would reduce the likelihood of someone else doing it).  You also
need an extension cord with a male plug on both ends presenting
a serious shock hazzard!
A transfer switch is in the $100 to $300 range depending on the
number of circuits.  If you need the electrical installer, the
total cost is obviously more.
--
Dr. Darrel J. Van Buer  AK6I
ak6i@earthlink.net