[CQ-Contest] Portable Generators

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Portable Generators
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Mon Jan 12 14:10:55 1998
At 12:44 PM 1/12/98 EST, you wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I am interested in purchasing a portable AC generator for mostly HAM use in
>the field, and I have a couple of questions.
>
>1] are all the generators that I see advertised by the large hardware
>companies the same except for the power rating?
>
>2] are there any specifics that I should be aware of that I don't want in a
>generator?
>
>TIA,
>
>Howard W3CQH

Ok...really they are pretty much t he same.  Coleman is available at WalMart
and uses a common garden variety Briggs and Straton engine.  Parts are
available at about any lawnmower parts store.  Last forever if you pull
regular maintenance.  The large 4000 watt job will run the AC too in most
campers.

One of the things I hate about most of these generators is they run at 3600
RPM to get 60 cycle.  You might want to look for an 1800 RPM unit.  They are
less noising, but I don't know how available they are.  I like the 1800 RPM.
Look at ONAN.

Just my thoughts

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net