[CQ-Contest] Portable Generators

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Portable Generators
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Mon Jan 12 20:08:43 1998
In a message dated 98-01-12 18:17:37 EST, NEDROG@AOL.com writes:

> I am interested in purchasing a portable AC generator for mostly HAM use in
>  the field, and I have a couple of questions.
>
>  1] are all the generators that I see advertised by the large hardware
>  companies the same except for the power rating?
>
>  2] are there any specifics that I should be aware of that I don't want in a
>  generator?

     As someone who loses my power occasionally, my main criteria (criterion?)
was price. I got a 2.25 kw Coleman at Home Depot for about three-hundred
bucks. It's noisy but works FB. Regulation is by mechanical means.

    You get what you pay for. The Honda's are fabulous - quiet and quite nice.
But they're relatively expensive. If I could afford one, that would be my
choice.

     Next time I think I'll look at one that has a tap for 220VAC too instead
of just 110. Might be handy for an amp.

    I'll never forget losing power during SS one year. I could've limped along
on the radio with 12 volts but needed 110 for the damn computer!

73,   Steve  K7LXC