[CQ-Contest] Re: Running DOS apps under Win95

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Running DOS apps under Win95
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Fri Jan 16 22:14:31 1998
> Any of these methods will work, but I think the editing of MSDOS.SYS
> is the least desirable unless you want to type WIN almost every time
> you start or restart a Win95 machine.

Precisely, or unless you are running CT during a multi-op effort and
you *never* want Win95 to rear it's ugly head.

--Trey, N5KO

From: patd@wolfenet.com" <patd@wolfenet.com (Patrick Dayshaw)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Running DOS apps under Win95

Yes, that's correct. The default file attributes for the
MSDOS.SYS file is normally both "Hidden" and "System". You
can change the attributes of the file via Windows Explorer
by "Right-Clicking" on the file and then selecting
"Properties" from the menu. When the MSDOS.SYS properties
dialog box opens, near the bottom of the General tab you
will see an "Attributes" area, un-check both the "Hidden"
and "System" check boxes, and then close the Properties
box. You can now edit the MSDOS.SYS file with Notepad. If
you double click on it you will be prompted for the
application to use to open it, just choose Notepad or
another pure ASCII editor. After editing the BootGui=
setting and saving it you'll be all set for your CONTEST
configuration. It's not really necessary to set the
attributes back. Just keep in mind this is a sensitive file
and heed the warning embedded in it when you open it.

Patrick
WA7VNI

On Friday, January 16, 1998 04:25 AM, Tom Osborne
[SMTP:w7why@mail.coos.or.us] wrote:
> Trey Garlough wrote:
>
> >         Yes, actually there is a way to do it...in the
> >         root directory
> >is a file called MSDOS.SYS. In that file is a section
> >called [Options],
> >and under that section is an entry as follows:
> >
> >         BootGUI=1
> >
> >         Change it to 0 and it should just boot into DOS
> >         mode...
> >
> >         -Jeff
>

> Hi Jeff. How do you edit a sys file?
> I looked in my msdos.sys, and it is not a text file. It
is