[CQ-Contest] School Club Roundup announcement

Subject: [CQ-Contest] School Club Roundup announcement
From: gswanson@arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn, KB1GW)
Date: Tue Jan 20 17:00:00 1998

Greetings fellow contesters,
The following will no doubt be of interest to some in the contest community.
Sincere 73, Glenn Swanson, KB1GW
ARRL Educational Activities Department

Yea! It*s School Club Roundup Time
       Carol Sharp, KC5JEM, and Jim Sharp, W5AP, sponsors of the Heritage
Middle School Ham Radio Club, Colleyville TX, report: "The kids love to
compete and really get excited.  We demonstrate techniques for making
contest contacts, and draw up a schedule so that everyone takes turns
operating.  Some get tongue-tied, but all come away with better
communication skills, and have a good time.  We encourage students from
overseas to make contact with their home countries -- we had QSOs in German,
French, Mandarin and Spanish.  You should have seen one student's face when
he called CQ in Spanish, and a ham from his hometown in Venezuela answered!
 During SCR, if hams want to activate their schools but not get many
students involved, I encourage them to enter in the Individual Category,
since they as adults are competing with students.  SCR is a great student
involvement/ham radio activity, and I thank N2RQ for organizing it."  Rob
Welsh, N3RW, at the High School for Engineering and Science ARC, said,
"Prior to SCR, we run training sessions and give students a script
containing a typical SCR exchange, Q-codes, and the ICAO phonetic alphabet."
     The SCR is sponsored by the Council for the Advancement of Amateur
Radio in the New York City Schools (CAAR/NYCS), the ARRL and the Hudson
Division Education Task Force. In response to suggestions, CAAR/NYCS has
changed the 1998 rules to: SCR operating times are now any time of day, with
a new limit of 6 hours in any 24 hour period, which should increase DX
activity.  Also, we will issue separate award certificates for elementary,
middle school, high school and college/university levels for US and DX
entries. We encourage ops to take time to chat beyond the contest exchange.
Rules:
   1. Object: Stations work as many stations as possible, especially school
clubs.
   2. Contest Period: 1300 UTC Monday, Feb. 9, to 0100 UTC Saturday, Feb.
14. Operate no more than 24 of the 108 hours, with a maximum of 6 hours in
any 24 hour period.  Logs must show on and off dates and times; off periods
must be at least 30 minutes.
   3. Classes: Single transmitter only:
     (I)  Individual or Single Operator (non club)
      (C)  Club or Multioperator Group (non school) -- Multiop Groups can
use only one call sign.
      (S)  School Club or Group (grades K 12, college or university) Any
station operated at school, and those formed for the sole purpose of
operating the SCR.
   4. Exchange: Call sign, RS(T), class (I, C or S), US state or DX country.

                  An example, N2RQ DE W2CXN 57(9) S NY.
   5. Scoring: You may work stations once each on phone and CW (digital
modes count as CW).  No repeater contacts except satellite and "real-time"
packet. Score 1 point for each phone QSO and 2 points for each CW QSO.
 Multiplier: [Number of states plus number of DXCC countries] plus [2 x
number of class C QSOs] plus [5 x class S QSOs].  QSOs with school stations
are given a multiplier of 5, making them the most desirable stations to
work. Contacts with KA2NRR count as a 5x multiplier. (KA2NRR was the creator
of the contest that became the SCR).  Final Score: Multiply QSO points by
multiplier.  PLEASE use the SCR summary form to avoid errors, especially for
your first time in the SCR. (See 6 below.)
     Suggested HF Frequencies (kHz): Use all amateur bands except 30, 17 and
12 meters. Do not use VHF or UHF repeaters nor the national calling
frequency (146.52 Mhz). Only use recognized simplex frequencies such as
144.90-145.00; 146.49, .55, 58; and 147.42, .45, .48, .51, .54 and .57 MHz.
        CW                    Phone
        1800 to 1810               1855 to 1865
        3530 to 3580               3850 to 3880
        7030 to 7080               7225 to 7255
        14,030 to 14,060      14,250 to 14,280
        21,050 to 21,080      21,300 to 21,330
        28,050 to 28,080      28,550 to 28,580
        Novice CW             Novice Phone
        3685 to 3705               28,350 to 28,400
        7110 to 7130
        21,110 to 21,130
        28,110 to 28,130

   6. Reporting: For IBM and compatibles software (SCR-LOG Ver.3.x written
by AD8B), email requests to caarnycs@aol.com. Download SCR-LOG from
http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc.html
         Select   > The BARC Archives
                      > PC stuff
                      > logging/
                      > SCR LOG.ZIP
Or send a large self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) or a label and
postage for log and entry forms to SCR, c/o Lew Malchick, N2RQ, Brooklyn
Technical HS, 29 Ft Greene Pl, Brooklyn, NY 11217. Logs must include
exchange information, bands and signatures of all ops and authorized club
official or trustee. Indicate total hours and operator/loggers, and type of
school. Dupe sheets are required for entries over 100 QSOs. Computer entries
on disk are prefered (use SCR-LOG or the ARRL Suggested Standard File
Format) -- label the file names and formats. If you aren*t sure Lew can
handle your file, call or write to ask.  Postmark entries to Lew by March
16, 1998 (30 days after end of SCR).
     7. Awards: Certificates for the top three entries in each class; School
Club class is divided into elementary, middle, high school and
college/university. DX is listed separately at the end of US entries. A
special certificate is awarded to any station working 10 or more school
clubs. Send a large (9 x 12 inch) SASE or a mailing label and sufficient
postage or IRCs for complete results and information about CAAR/NYCS. We
have always sent a certificate for each entry, but with increased
participation and workload, entrants who don*t send appropriate postage,
envelope and mailing label may not get a certificate.

eof