[CQ-Contest] 2 radio reprise

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 2 radio reprise
From: W5fx@aol.com (W5fx)
Date: Fri Jan 23 21:42:53 1998
In a message dated 98-01-23 Tom W7WHY writes:

<< I guess to some people it is a lot more than
 that.  Maybe there should just be 2 classes, fun and full bore!. 73

Not a bad idea...as long as it doesn't end up being divided into the "Just for
Fun", "Started Out Having Fun", "Really WANTED to Have Fun But Couldn't" and
"Didn't Want to Have Fun" classes!

Yes, the idea is to have "fun", but it IS a Contest....and isn't the whole
idea of a contest to WIN?

I first got into contesting almost (yikes) 20 years ago.  And I still have fun
AND learn with each contest I operate.  How to improve my operating, how to
improve the equipment, how to improve the set-up.....whatever it takes to make
the station AND my operating better.  It would be great to win, but I'm also
happy and have fun as long as I improve with each effort - - and as long as I
don't make the same dumb mistakes twice!! (And as long as John, K7UP doesn't
"fire" me!!)

I would have loved to have had a "1 Radio-Fighting a Cold- 20/15 Antennas
stuck at 40 degrees-Can't Type Worth a Damn" catagory for NAQP, but that's not
the idea of contests, as far as I see it.  Everyone can not and SHOULD not be
a "winner".

There will always be "Big Guns" and "Little Pistols" in Radio Contesting as
well as everywhere else in life.  You either work hard to do your best, or
accept the results you get.  Or.....maybe we need the FCC to create an
Affirmative Action Department for Contesting?  Hmmmmmmmm.

I rarely chime in here on the reflector, but in this case felt I had to chip
in my point of view.   For what it's worth, y'all!

73  Mike W5FX