[CQ-Contest] farewell to the reflector

Subject: [CQ-Contest] farewell to the reflector
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth Earl Harker)
Date: Wed Mar 4 20:25:49 1998
Thus spoke Bruce Lallathin:

> At 02:49 PM 3/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >After all the great technical information I've received and have tried to
> >pass along on this reflector, I must sadly make this my last message
> >on the net.
> >
> ============================
> Gee Whiz John, and believe me I mean you no disrespect, maybe it is time
> for you to find an Iternet Service Provider of your own. Mine only charges
> me $15/mo for unlimited access to the net and email. I should think it
> fairly easy for you to secure a similar service. Then, you wouldn't have to
> leave us.
>
> Lets face it, our employers are not there to provide for our email needs.
> Gotta keep our priorities straight don't you see.  hi  Not to belabor the
> point John, but if it is worth having it is also worth paying for.

   Well, in all fairness, most employers are not in the medical or life
insurance business either, and yet almost all employers of any size provide for
their employees' needs, to one degree or another, in those respects.  Internet
access provided by an employer is a benefit in a sense, and having it yanked
away suddenly must certainly be aggravating.  Consider if your employer
came to you and said they had decided they are no longer there to provide
for your medical insurance needs, and you should go out and buy your own.
OK, I'll grant you in this instance the dollar value of the benefit is
relatively small, but it's the principle of the thing.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page