[CQ-Contest] A different view of "contesting" (longish...)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] A different view of "contesting" (longish...)
From: w4au@contesting.com (John Unger)
Date: Fri Apr 3 08:26:33 1998
After hearing the discussions here about frequency fights; about stations
that go to the trouble to broadcast 180 degrees off their beam headings to
"keep others off their backs"; whether 4-over-4-over4 monobander stacks are
more effective than 5-over-5 stacks; about the various ways to defeat the
intent of 10-minute rules; etc., etc., I thought it might be refreshing to
relate the following contest story?

With the urging and leadership of our President, NC4S, our small,
non-contest club (38 paid members, plus a few hangers-on), the Loudoun
Amateur Radio Group, decided to rally interest in putting together a
"serious" effort as a club entry in the recent VA QSO Party. We don't have
any multi-multi "contest stations" in the club; in fact I don't think any
of us have more than one tower up, and there are only two of us who are
even serious or rather enthusiastic contesters (definition: enter more than
4 contests a year?). Paper logs and dupe sheets are the rule here in rural
western Loudoun County Virginia.

It was incredibly gratifying to find that we had 21 members active in the
QSO Party, including 6 novice/techs (no-code), who recently got their
licenses. QSO totals ranged from 637 to 6! Everyone contributed and
everyone had a ball! Many of our novice/techs got in their cars and became
VHF multi-county rovers, providing lots of important 3-point mobile
contacts from some needed counties in the northwest corner of Virginia. I
don't know how we will fair against the real "contest clubs" in the state,
but this has been the best activity that our club has done in terms of
enthusiastic participation since our first Field Day effort a few years
ago. As a direct result of this event, we now have a number of new hams
seriously studying CW and eager to upgrade so that they can enjoy the HF
bands, and even get into other contests! This past week has been a lot of
work for a few of us re-entering logs kept on scraps of paper into computer
spreadsheets, etc., but everyone in the club is proud of our effort and
level of participation.

Finally, I've included a note attached to the log I received from one of
our members, Carol, KF4TJJ; both she and her husband Dennis, KF4TJI, are
newly-licensed hams.

"To whom it may concern, in defense of my VA QSO Party Log(s):

"Dennis, KF4TJI, is the driving force in the family for amateur radio; he
is the one who was prepared - read the rules, asked questions, practiced on
the logging software, etc.

"My intention was to ride along and listen on Saturday as he made contacts
and logged them in. When he made his first contact, and our friend, Temp,
W4HZV, asked if I were there too, I got drawn into the contest. Then Nancy,
KE4RTP, snagged me, too. At that point I decided I might as well respond
when called. I apologize for not being well prepared in radio procedure and
logging technique.

"Dennis was using a computer log and hence his times were automatically
assigned through the software as he logged the QSO. I referred to the clock
on the truck radio as we made our journey.

"I listened a bit on our hand-help at home on Sunday afternoon as was
successful in making one contact. From conversations on Saturday I was not
clear about log procedure when switching from 'mobile' to a fixed station,
so continued my numbering from Saturday on Sunday."

As a postscript to Carol's story, I would like to note that KF4TJI operated
from 12 Virginia counties and logged a total of 85 QSO's, all operating
2-meter FM simplex from his car. An outstanding effort.

And as a final note, thanks to all of you who worked Virginia stations in
the QSO Party; it makes it a lot of fun for everyone.

73 - John, W4AU