[CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX...WW or Domestic ?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX...WW or Domestic ?
From: i4jmy@migate.ampr.org (i4jmy@migate.ampr.org)
Date: Fri Apr 3 10:09:38 1998
    I don't wan't to enter in the core of the 30-36 "discussion", but
    some questions and thoughts arose in my mind.......

    1) I think there is no way to eliminate geographical advantages.
       When artificially shortening the openings nothing can be done
       on their "quality", rates will continue to be different.
       A "good" W1 will run more Eu's than a "good" W7 or a CT1 more
       US's than an I4, and the same happens in many other places of
       the world.

    2) In case of low or disturbed propagation the differences risk
       to be enhanced rather than reduced.

    3) If a "leveling" is the explaination for limiting to 30 hours,
       why excluding M/S and M/M entry ?

    4) Is it fair to keep 6 bands busy for 48 hours when the contest
       is only 30 hours for each entrant ?

    5) May be I'm wrong, but WPX is a WW contest not a USA domestic
       one. Isn't it time to realize that there is no shame if a W7
       scores less than W1 . Is there any W7 or W5 (or I4, etc.)
       aiming to compare his results with those of a P40 ?

    6) Some increase in the value of continental and in-country QSO,
       with a consequent proportional decrease for the extracontinental
       ones, will definitely discourage a big number of people to enter,
       expecially those in low populated areas, far from N.am and Eu.

    7) 9Y4 is a prefix like KQ2, but each qso of a 9Y4 with USA counts
       much more, double in low bands. There is plenty of motivation
       for expeditions in WPX too.

    ....that's all folks.

    73,
    I4JMY