[CQ-Contest] Re: Dayton Off Site Forums - A Report (little long)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Dayton Off Site Forums - A Report (little long)
From: dx_9m6oo@juno.com (Bob W. Schenck)
Date: Mon May 18 12:31:02 1998
I too was quite sceptical about the DX forums being off-site, but bit my
tongue on the subject before this. I attended the first 4 DX shows at the
DX forum and enjoyed them all, being quite comfortable at the much larger
and quiet auditorium. The view, although somewhat distorted and a bit
dark, was far superior than it ever was at the Hamvention curtain room.
And, you could hear each and every word spoken.... All big advantages to
the off site auditorium. The ride was a short 10 minutes and there seemed
to be air conditioned busses at both ends (HARA and the school) all the
time.
I opted to go back to HARA after the first 4 DX shows (skipped the
contest forum as I felt I couldn't do both) and feel it did not detract
from my overall Hamvention experience. As a matter of fact, I think that
me seeing 4 DX shows at Dayton was actually a personal record! It would
not have happened in the curtain room.
Change is sometimes difficult. I hope everyone who blasted the move is
willing to eat at least a little crow on this one, admitting to the
"hindsight is 20/20"  theory.
I personally hope the DX Forum continues at Meadowdale in the future.
AND, I hope the respective ARRL people add to the forum there as well.
Now, as for dirty curtains???? I would hope that the Hamvention people
wouldn't lie to us. I would have been much more receptive to their
explanation that the off site forum was a one year experiment to see how
it worked, if that really was the case.
In any event, I had a wonderful HAMVENTION 98 and it was great to see so
many of my old friends.... and some new ones too.
See you all in 1999????
73 and DX IS!
Bob Schenck, N2OO/9M6OO

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]