[CQ-Contest] Contest Ethics - A Case Study?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Ethics - A Case Study?
From: aa7bg@3rivers.net (Matt--K7BG)
Date: Fri May 22 10:29:54 1998
>> If they only used the cluster to send spots (others, not themselves),
>> and not read spots, then this (I think) is legal.  Most (all?) of
>> your examples, however, seem to be begging for mults/spotting
>> themselves.
>>

>I regularly connect to the cluster while single-op, but I immediately send
>the SHOW/NODX command to turn off any spots coming my way.  That way I can
>send out spots and support the assisted guys.  After *I* work 'em, of
>course :-)
>
>Similarly, if you're running single-band, just turn off spots on that
>band.

Not that we need more fodder for the grist mill, but here's some anyway. I
believe the argument could be made that even spotting could be unfair over
the COMPLETELY non-packet stations. By spotting, a station is knowingly or
unknowingly letting others know that he is available for Q's. For example,
VE8XYZ is single opping in SS. He spots stations, but has SH/NODX enabled.
This tells other stations that he is on the air. He may be S&Ping or he may
start calling CQ near the station he just spotted. He will more than likely
get contacts that he wouldn't have otherwise.

The same thing with single banding in DX tests. If you are SB on 10 and you
see 3Y5DX spotted on 15, you might turn your antenna that way on the half
hour and listen and hope he's QSYed to 10.

I might be nit-picking and to me it doesn't really matter as I still find
myself to be the main competition (continually trying to better previous
years' scores), but it's either black and white or it's gray.

This is a microcosm of how the tax codes have become so complex? When we
continually look for loopholes in every aspect of our daily existence the
result is over-burdensome complexity.

"Life is too complicated,....simplify, simplify.--Thoreau

73, Matt--K7BG

"Who put a quarter in him?"--My cousin Dave everytime I open my craw.