[CQ-Contest] Two Radios, one band

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Two Radios, one band
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Mon Jun 22 14:19:51 1998
I have had two 1500W rigs on in the same sub-band, particularly in the 10
Meter contest, and it is tough to isolate them....listening on the second
rig without being trashed by yourself on the first rig is a challenge.

While I have had only 60 feet horizontal and 80 feet of vertical separation
which is relatively far at 10 meters (geometry buffs....this is a three
four five right triangle....so, separation of antennas was.......100
ft)...I hope to add some Ten meter antennas onto another tower which is
further away from the current antenna location and hope that that will help
to enhance the isolation.

As previously mentioned by Low Tribander Tom antenna separation is the key.
  If both antennas are on the same tower I think you may be spinning your
wheels....if you have several towers and the antennas are spaced
horizontally you may have a chance.

I operated from K4XS' impressive old QTH w/WC4E in WPX CW and we would do
two men on a band each taking a segment both S&Ping for those last few
common mults like WB6 during the closing hours of the contest - this is
very effective.....even with Bill's old antenna farm while one station was
transmitting only the big signals (not necessarily what you are looking for
with S&P) would be heard on the other station. Bill has bigger towers
sprouting even more yagis and should be back amongst us this Fall....check
out the link at the bottom of this message.

Another trick which K1TO tough me in the ARRL contest this year was using a
non-resonant antenna for listening on the same band.......while I was
mashing the F1 button on 14 MHz Dan would S&P on the same band, and was
able to hear within 10 KHz of me - on a 40 meter antenna!  He found all
kinds of goodies for me while I was getting nil response....

I hope we have further mail on this....with the increase in two radio
activity I would be interested in doing more two radio single band
operating during our multi-multi contesting efforts, after getting used to
running and S&Ping simultaneously while single op this would be fun - I
cannot stand listening to my own CQs anymore!

....of course, ya know each op could run on two bands at the same time :-)
Whoa...

Being able to keep ones presence by CQing while contesting is always a must
- simultaneously being able to hunt for the newbies is a really BIG plus.

Other ideas on two rigs one band?

...I do not think that filtering enters in here due to the small percentage
differences in frequency....is there something other than antenna
separation which can help?

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm