[CQ-Contest] Operating Style in Pile-Up

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Operating Style in Pile-Up
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Fri Jul 17 16:52:09 1998

  (Comments regarding K7SV posting on signing call sign after each QSO,
    see below)..........

 Now Larry........
 It obviusly depends on who the "hunter" is and who is the "hunted".  If I'm
 operating from P5AA, and the band is full of WB6's, all on cw sending at
 10 wpm.....I can assure you that I would very firmly feel that my time is
 more valuable that yours (theirs)!!

 It seems as if you are saying....."No matter what the circumstances are, the
 rare DX station must operate exactly how I want him to, or I won't work him"
 Thus, One size fits All !!  That's ludicrous OM.

 Circumstances make all the difference.  Flexibility to respond to different
 circumstances are what makes champions.  It is absolutely NOT needed for
 a rare DX station to sign his call sign after every QSO.  Maybe in some cases
 it's appropriate to sign your call after each QSO, in other cases after
each 2 or 3
 may be okay, and in other cases after each 10 QSO's might be the right amount.
 Remember that the DX operator is operating to maximize HIS rate, not yours.

 In my judgement your analogy of butting into traffic, or driving on the
shoulder
 should be changed a bit.  It's more like a 6 lane highway, and the Big Guns
are
 running in the fast lane.  If you're driving an Amish horse & buggy, better
get in
 the slow lane, or you're gonna get run over.  AND, if you choose to take your
 horse and buggy over to the fast lane, you better stoke the horse up with some
 high powered hay so that you can "Do as the Romans do, when in Rome"!!

 One Size does NOT fit all!!

 73
 Dale  K5MM