[CQ-Contest] NAQP Mult Passing Technique Questions

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Mult Passing Technique Questions
From: rocker@datasync.com (Ray Rocker)
Date: Wed Aug 5 19:52:51 1998
> Based on some comments about the recent NAQP, I have some questions on
> the proper technique for accomplishing this. Especially on CW.
>
> So, what is usually sent? On Phone, you just ask, "Could you move to xx
> meters?" "Sure, what frequency?" "Oh, xx.xxx.xx MHz" "OK." On CW, I'm
> sure it is more succinct. Do you give a QSY frequency right away: "PSE
> QSY 21.120" or do you first agree to QSY, then give a frequency?

I get it both ways, about half and half. The most efficient way IMHO
is for them to ask "QSY 21120?" then I can respond "R QSY" and go.

If they're real loud I might echo back the freq e.g. "R QSY 21120"
but that's problematic if copy is rough already.

> I was under the impression that you have to be CQing to pass mults. Isn't
> it somewhat impolite to ask someone to give up his run frequency in just
> so he can give you a new mult?

I think so. If I'm on a crowded band and getting good rate, I'll
politely refuse. If I had two radios it might be different.

> Another question would be -- how do you know what to move? Do you move
> anything that's a new mult, or do you try to temper this with whatever is
> going to be easy pickings later.

Good question. You'd think it's silly to start moving people right at
the start of the contest. But once in SS, I heard WB0O 20 over 9 in
the first half hour, called a few times, but the pileup was huge and I
thought "I'll have plenty of chances to work him later". But I never heard
him again and wound up missing ND completely. Shoulda stuck it out.

-- Ray  WQ5L  rocker@datasync.com