[CQ-Contest] NAQP Mult Passing Technique Questions

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Mult Passing Technique Questions
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Wed Aug 5 20:41:31 1998
In regards to AA4LR's question about passing mults:

I tried the following last weekend (while CQing):

K4RO: NA K4RO
N4ZZ: N4ZZ
K4RO: N4ZZ KIRK TN
N4ZZ: TU DON TN   (I've worked Don everywhere, so I move on...)

K4RO: TU NA K4RO
KP3L: KP3L
K4RO: KP3L KIRK TN
KP3L: TU ARMAGEDDON PR
K4RO: QSY 10M?

If I get a YES, C or R, it goes like this:

K4RO: 28.055
KP3L: R QSY   and off we go...

At this point, I'll probably start CQing on 28.055, hoping KP3L
will call me.  I starting by sending "KP3L KP3L DE K4RO" but decided
that was foolish, for obvious reasons.  Better to just CQ there.
If I'm lucky a QSO is made.  I don't CQ for too long though.
(That must be one of the finer points, knowing how long to wait.)

However, if I get a NO, SRI or equivalent, it goes like this:

K4RO: R TU K4RO NA
<next station hopefully calls in>

> I was under the impression that you have to be CQing to pass mults. Isn't
> it somewhat impolite to ask someone to give up his run frequency in just
> so he can give you a new mult?

I think you answered your own question.  At least that's how I play it.

> Another question would be -- how do you know what to move?

Right now, anything you think you can work on 10 meters!   That's
where I fell on my face last weekend.

> Do you move anything that's a new mult, or do you try to temper
> this with whatever is going to be easy pickings later.

Good question.  I felt that I did not do it NEARLY enough.

-Kirk  K4RO