[CQ-Contest] WAE & QTC's

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WAE & QTC's
From: w2up@itw.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Wed Aug 12 19:36:14 1998
On 13 Aug 98, Igor Sokolov <ua9cdc@dialup.mplik.ru> wrote:

> At RK9CWW we are trying to apply scientific approach. QTCs are given at
> a time when the rate is at its lowest. It usually happens on Sunday
> morning when low bands are gone and upper bands are in a poor shape yet.
> But that is flexible. Another thing is to give QTC to someone who you
> know can get it quickly and reliably. That is the reason QTC are not
> given on the first day. The rate is too good to slow it down with QTC.

I had plenty of stations ask for QTC the first day. Throughout the
whole contest, I don't think I was ever behind more than 30 between QSO
and QTC number. I find it annoying to be pestered for QTC when the run
rate is very good, and even programmed F6 in CT to say NIL TU QRZ. It
also amazes me how many ask for QTC in poor band condx. I only had
about 20 QSOs on 80m cuz the band was very noisy. I had a few requests
there for QTC (NIL). Even more amazing was one of the 7 scatter/just
above the noise 10m QSOs asked me for QTC! (same answer, NIL).

Overall, though, I very much enjoy the WAE test - I like the QTC (easy
for me to say - I only send them!), I don't have to turn the beam
(except over Africa for 10m scatter), and I like Single Op with
packet (sorry Dave, and thanks for your QSOs) - eliminates any
doubts about who is really using packet.
73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@mindspring.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club