[CQ-Contest] CW speed - send vs. copy

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW speed - send vs. copy
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Tue Nov 17 12:22:05 1998
On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Randy Thompson wrote:

> Good questions Dan! Here is what works for me.
>
> Call the guy at a speed you are comfortable with.  If he is going too fast,
> append QRS to the end of your call.  To a good op, this is a signal to
> exactly match your sending speed. If the guy doesn't slow down, just spin
> the dial.
>
> If you don't send the QRS, then you won't always get guys to slow down.  It
> is amazing how many guys call me slow, I send the exchange at normal speed,
> and they QSL it.  So the default is not to slow down.
>
> Randy, K5ZD

I have no problem receiving 45-50 wpm and sending that fast with my
keyer.  But I do a lot of S&P'ing in contests, so it gets to be a pain
having to adjust the speed control on the keyer for every other QSO which
is at a different rate.  I usually end up setting my keyer for a medium
speed (to me) around 30 wpm.  This seems to get across to most stations.
If someone asks me to QRS,  then I crank the knob down.

73, Zack W9SZ